Tidy configuration

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Chris Harris, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Chris Harris

    Chris Harris Guest

    I use Ttidy to check my Html/Xhtml, but I have one annoying problem.

    I can't figure out how to configure it to leave my munged email address
    alone. eg

    arris.net">

    would be coverted to the ascii character string by Tidy.

    What do I put in the tidy config file to make it leave that stuff alone?

    My Tidy config file is as follows.
    // HTML tidy config file
    // Chris Harris
    // 24 June 2003

    // HTML XHTML options
    clean: yes
    doctype: strict
    drop-font-tags: yes
    drop-proprietary-attributes: yes
    enclose-text: yes
    numeric-entities: yes
    output-xhtml: yes
    quote-ampersand: yes
    quote-marks: yes
    quote-nbsp: yes

    // character encoding options
    ascii-chars: no
    char-encoding: utf8

    // pretty print options
    indent: yes
    indent-attributes: no
    indent-spaces: 2

    // misc
    tidy-mark: no

    Chris Harris, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Chris Harris

    picayunish Guest

    When Chris Harris was making a web page, a :-? appears and wrote:
    > I use Ttidy to check my Html/Xhtml, but I have one annoying problem.
    >
    > I can't figure out how to configure it to leave my munged email address
    > alone. eg

    > arris.net">

    Use a form mail with a server side process. This can be done by e.g. php,
    if your hosting support php.
    Otherwise visit the FAQ of your hosting. To prevent that the SE will spider
    the form by using robot.txt
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart (Geen familie van....)
    http://www.semi-conductors.nl/ Links to Semiconductors sites

    picayunish, Jun 24, 2003

  3. Chris Harris

    Rob McAninch Guest

    Chris Harris <news:bd9re3$pni35$>:

    > I use Ttidy to check my Html/Xhtml, but I have one annoying
    > problem.
    >
    > I can't figure out how to configure it to leave my munged
    > email address alone. eg

    Hm, if Tidy can un-munge your email adress that easily do you
    really think it does much good?

    Perhaps you can coerce it to ignore mailt: tags? Been awhile
    since I used it.

    --
    Rob - http://rock13.com/
    Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/

    Rob McAninch, Jul 1, 2003
  4. Chris Harris

    Headless Guest

    Rob McAninch <> wrote:

    >> I use Ttidy to check my Html/Xhtml, but I have one annoying
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> I can't figure out how to configure it to leave my munged
    >> email address alone. eg

    >Hm, if Tidy can un-munge your email adress that easily do you
    >really think it does much good?

    Character references are surprisingly effective according to this study:
    http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml

    Note that this email address harvester optionally uses IE, in that mode
    it translates character references flawlessly:
    http://www.mailutilities.com/aee/

    Headless

    Headless, Jul 2, 2003