Tidying up VHDL with PILS Codecomb - a very early demo

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Ole Nielsby, Jan 4, 2008.

  1. Ole Nielsby

    Ole Nielsby Guest

    This is to inform you of a project that might interest VHDL
    developers, or functional programming or wxWidgets
    developers.

    I am experimenting with the use of my PILS language for
    producing free tools for parsing and manipulating VHDL,
    using a (wxWidgets based) GUI that lets you select
    and view individual operations.

    This is still in a very early stage, but VHDL'ers might have
    ideas for what the Codecomb tools should do to their VHDL.
    So far I implemented two rather trivial transformers: one that
    converts keywords to upper case and one that inserts the
    optional tokens in END...; sequences - but tell me your
    wishes and I might give it a try.

    (If your heart is in your dreams...)

    The demo works by generating replacement instructions
    from the syntax trees. The GUI then displays the replacers
    and the VHDL, allowing you to switch them on/off with
    Ins/Del keys, which is a fast means for selecting the
    replacements you want.

    The parser is a funny beast - I banged my head flat against
    BFN and LALR, and dumped in favour of coding a state
    transformation machine directly in PILS, with a diagnostic
    GUI that allows you to see the parser working step by step,
    and can point you to the PILS rule responsible to a particular
    step.

    If you want to see the demo: http://pils.org
    You have to unpack it and follow the instructions in the
    readme. (No installer. No registry mess.)

    The exact terms for the Codecomb VHDL tool aren't clear but
    it will be open source and you won't be charged for using it.

    PILS is freeware but I won't support military or weaponry
    applications and therefore can't set up a sourceforge project,
    as the OSI terms forbid discrimination of application fields.
    I haven't gotten around to setting up a proper site for it yet,
    producing tools of value is of higher priority than web design
    right now.

    The PILS language is documented by an openoffice document
    which is included in the demo archive (but requires openoffice).

    Note: FUT has been set to comp.lang.vhdl. If you want to discuss
    functional programming or wxWidgets interfacing, please set the ng.

    Ole Nielsby, Danish Technological Institute http://www.dti.dk

    Btw thanks to those who answered my questions on vhdl grammar
    technicalities in comp.lang.vhdl. I might ask more...

    Ole Nielsby, Jan 4, 2008

  2. Ole Nielsby

    HT-Lab Guest

    "Ole Nielsby" <> wrote in message
    > This is to inform you of a project that might interest VHDL
    > developers, or functional programming or wxWidgets
    > developers.
    >
    > I am experimenting with the use of my PILS language for
    > producing free tools for parsing and manipulating VHDL,
    > using a (wxWidgets based) GUI that lets you select
    > and view individual operations.
    >
    > This is still in a very early stage, but VHDL'ers might have
    > ideas for what the Codecomb tools should do to their VHDL.
    > So far I implemented two rather trivial transformers: one that
    > converts keywords to upper case and one that inserts the
    > optional tokens in END...; sequences - but tell me your
    > wishes and I might give it a try.

    Well....., what would be nice if you could accept VHDL2006 and translate it
    back to VHDL2002. I understand that this might not work for all new language
    constructs but it might be doable for features like process(all), simplified
    case, case with dontcare values, expressions in portmaps etc etc.

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com

    PS It would be easier if you use plain zip/tar/gz compression for your work
    instead of 7-zips.

    HT-Lab, Jan 9, 2008