Tiers, Layers, Models and Design Patterns (Model-2 of Struts)

Jan Brunia

Hi,

I'm busy investigating the Implementation View of the 4+1 architectural
views of RUP.

I'm getting a bit confused about the difference between Tiers and Layers and
how to
get my business logic model + struts into it. I would like to invite you to
join a discssion
of what is actually meant by layers and tiers, how they relate to eachother
and how
for example struts, consisting of a servlet controller, an action, a form,
and a JSP view,
is "resting" on the layers and partitioned over the tiers. Besides that
assuming that the
system in integrating via XML to a back-end system I wonder how this in
reflected in
tiers and layers.

The tiers I'm thinking of are:

- Presentation (= on the browser)
- Web (= JSP and servlets on the server)
- Business Logic (=EJBs on the server)
- Enterprise Information System (=system to integrate with)
- Database (=back-end database)

Hope this is not enough to discuss in one thread and that the problem I have
is clear.

Kind regards,

Jan

Pronab Pal

I see Tier referring to physical distribution of processes- and Layer is
more logical decomposition of functionality -in your struts application
both
can be present depending on the configuration.- if you are integrating via
XML I would think the XML layer as an additional interface layer.
Pronob