    Be nice if my web page could change to "ON AIR", but it's beyond me how to do it.

    TIA

    Gary Jackson

    Gary Jackson, Feb 18, 2007

  2. Gary Jackson

    Randy Webb Guest

    Gary Jackson said the following on 2/18/2007 9:27 AM:
    > I present a radio show on a voluntary radio station every Sunday between 3 and 5pm
    >
    > Is there a script which will change one graphic between those times?
    >
    > Be nice if my web page could change to "ON AIR", but it's beyond me how to do it.

    Without having some server side support you won't have a reliable
    answer. And even with server side support it still won't be fool proof.
    The best you could do would be to use a setTimeout call to change the
    image every so often (60 seconds) and have the server return the image
    that is needed.

    function changeImage(){
    document.images['theImage'].src="getImage.php?"+(new Date().getTime())
    }
    var myTimer = window.setInterval(changeImage,60000)

    With this HTML:

    <image src="off_air.png" name="theImage">

    And then have getImage.php return an "ON AIR" or "OFF AIR" image based
    on the servers time. If the server and the radio show are in different
    time zones then you will have to accommodate for that on the server.

    Any solution will be dependent upon the clock being set properly and it
    is easier to control the server clock than every users clock. It will
    also depend on scripting being enabled.

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    Randy Webb, Feb 18, 2007

  3. Gary Jackson

    VK Guest

    On Feb 18, 5:27 pm, "Gary Jackson" <gary.jackson1NOT
    > wrote:
    > I present a radio show on a voluntary radio station every Sunday between 3 and 5pm
    >
    > Is there a script which will change one graphic between those times?
    >
    > Be nice if my web page could change to "ON AIR", but it's beyond me how to do it.

    1) That is for a station located in England (GMT) If it is not then
    tell your time zone to adjust.

    2) Respectively instead of "<p>ON AIR</p>" you can write your img tag

    3) User clocks can be wrong or intentionally set on a wrong time but
    as a "hint helper" for average users it is good enough.

    <head>
    <title>Gary Jackson's show</title>
    content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    </head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var now = new Date();
    var day = now.getUTCDay();
    var hrs = now.getUTCHours();

    if ( (day == 0) && (hrs > 2) && (hrs < 5) ) {
    document.write('<p>ON AIR</p>');
    }
    else {
    document.write('<p>OFF AIR</p>');
    }
    </script>
    <noscript>
    </noscript>

    VK, Feb 18, 2007
  4. Gary Jackson

    Gary Jackson Guest

    VK wrote:
    > <head>
    > <title>Gary Jackson's show</title>
    > content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    > </head>
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > var now = new Date();
    > var day = now.getUTCDay();
    > var hrs = now.getUTCHours();
    >
    > if ( (day == 0) && (hrs > 2) && (hrs < 5) ) {
    > document.write('<p>ON AIR</p>');
    > }
    > else {
    > document.write('<p>OFF AIR</p>');
    > }
    > </script>
    > <noscript>
    > </noscript>

    Thank you so much!

    Gary

    Gary Jackson, Feb 18, 2007
  5. In comp.lang.javascript message <>, Sun,
    18 Feb 2007 14:27:59, Gary Jackson <gary.jackson1NOT@THIS.?.com.invalid>
    posted:
    >I present a radio show on a voluntary radio station every Sunday
    >between 3 and 5pm

    >Is there a script which will change one graphic between those times?

    >Be nice if my web page could change to "ON AIR", but it's beyond me how
    >to do it.

    Please do not post in HTML/multipart - FAQ 2.3 para 5.

    It is presumably 15:00 to 17:00 LCT (local civil time), independently of
    whether we are in Summer or Winter time; and your listeners may all be
    using UK/IE time. Otherwise, there is code on my site with which
    foreigners can determine UK time; you could adapt that.

    Since this is a mere convenience to the reader, you can give them the
    burden of having a correctly-set clock. Nowadays, most personal
    computer clocks are set from a network time server anyway.

    The problem is akin to a graphical-digit clock, as in <URL:http://www.me
    rlyn.demon.co.uk/js-anclk.htm#Dig>; but at each tick you only have to
    decide whether you are ON or OFF.

    with (new Date()) { D = getDay() ; H = getHours() }
    DH = D*24 + H
    ON = DH>=15 && DH<17

    will do the choosing; you should be able to adapt it for other times of
    the week.

    You don't need graphics; you could change text, and put it in a large
    coloured font.

    It's a good idea to read the newsgroup and its FAQ. See below.

    Dr J R Stockton, Feb 19, 2007