    Is there any practical document for doing those steps. Please help...

    Thank you for any help
    S.Hoa

    shoa, Jul 2, 2005

  2. shoa

    Tom Dyess Guest

    "shoa" <> wrote in message
    news:1120295818.934681@ftpsrv1...
    > Hello
    >
    > I have to build a database system for a small business company for the
    > first
    > time (from A to Z). I know that I have to do some steps: analysis and
    > design, implementation and testing. I also have to write a time frame. My
    > question is:
    >
    > - Normally, how many percent of time (in 100%) needed for the analysis and
    > design phase, implementation phase and testing phases.
    >
    > - In analysis and design phase, do I have to create GUI(s) to show to my
    > client. The problem here is that if I have to write Java codes for GUI(s),
    > it will be long time.
    >
    > Is there any practical document for doing those steps. Please help...
    >
    > Thank you for any help
    > S.Hoa

    That's a tough question that I don't think any of us can answer succinctly.
    It really depends. You first need to define the scope of your project. This
    should be a general overview of what it will do. Next, you need to write out
    all of the tasks required to implement this scope. This requires more fine
    detail into exactly what the application will do, what technologies it will
    use, etc. While you are creating the tasks, you need to estimate how long it
    will take to do. This is dependent on the experience of the developers who
    will be implementing the plan. I usually tack on 30%-50% for hubris. Lol.
    Once you have your tasks, you need to determine how many of these tasks you
    can do simultaneously and how many developers you will be provisioned.
    Depending on the number of developers, you need to allocate time for
    communication and synchronization. Also include the design phase in which
    you will create your basic architecture. The trick is you have to have a
    pretty good idea of what architecture you will be using to accurately
    estimate your times. Do you have any experts on the frameworks you will be
    using? If so, less time, if not, you need to account for learning the
    technologies.

    You might be in over your head here. Learning how to do this accurately
    really takes experience in not only development, but estimating the time it
    will take for someone else to do it. The good news is that if your client is
    fairly patient, you will get experience by trying, if not, you might be in
    trouble. I would definately use a tool like Microsoft Project to implement
    your task estimations. It will automatically create Gantt and Pert charts
    for you so you can visualize whats going on. The more complex the project,
    the more tasks and the easier it will be to get lost if you are just doing
    it on paper.

    --
    Tom Dyess
    OraclePower.com

    Tom Dyess, Jul 3, 2005

  3. shoa

    shoa Guest

    Thank you very much for your useful suggestion. As this application is
    database application for a small company (recruitment agent, 6-8 staffs), I
    will do all for the job. As you said, the good new is the client is patient,
    so I hope I will learn experiences when doing this project.

    ">

    shoa, Jul 3, 2005