    Has anybody here made such a function or know a link to any exampels
    Thanks
    , Sep 19, 2003

  2. Fred Serry Guest

    <> schreef in bericht
    news:...
    > I have a time field in an application. I am looking for some kind of
    > pop up function that lets me insert a time.
    > So its like a calendar pop up but you can choose a valid time instead
    > of a date
    >
    > Has anybody here made such a function or know a link to any exampels
    > Thanks

    What about 2 (or 3) selects for hour and minutes (and seconds).
    As opposed to a calendar, which changes by the month, the clock is the
    same every day.
    (Unless Dr J has another opinion on this subject, ofcourse :)

    Fred
    Fred Serry, Sep 19, 2003

  3. JRS: In article <bkeus6$135pk$-berlin.de>, seen in
    news:comp.lang.javascript, Fred Serry <>
    posted at Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:02:31 :-

    ><> schreef in bericht
    >> I have a time field in an application. I am looking for some kind of
    >> pop up function that lets me insert a time.
    >> So its like a calendar pop up but you can choose a valid time instead
    >> of a date
    >>
    >> Has anybody here made such a function or know a link to any exampels
    >> Thanks

    >What about 2 (or 3) selects for hour and minutes (and seconds).
    >As opposed to a calendar, which changes by the month, the clock is the
    >same every day.
    >(Unless Dr J has another opinion on this subject, ofcourse :)

    One can do it exactly like a date picker, except that there is no need
    to vary the length of any drop. To keep the Americans happy, and to
    annoy almost everyone else, one could add a.m. & p.m. - rather
    carefully, when interpreting.

    With drops of length 60 for seconds and minutes, the method seems slower
    than just typing in something like 12:34:56. Try my YWD picker, which
    has a drop of 53 for next year.

    One could make something like my Date Picker, but with three arrays of
    buttons; that would be fast, for expert mouse-wielders; but a waste of
    download time. See <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-date6.htm>
    Date and Time Choosers, and <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-
    date4.htm> on validation.

    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> JS maths, dates, sources.
    Dr John Stockton, Sep 19, 2003
  4. GIMME Guest

    GIMME, Sep 19, 2003
  5. <> wrote in message
    > I have a time field in an application. I am looking for some kind of
    > pop up function that lets me insert a time.
    > So its like a calendar pop up but you can choose a valid time instead
    > of a date
    >
    > Has anybody here made such a function or know a link to any exampels

    I once needed a data and time input in a SAS/AF application that may have
    some relevance here, for the date I used a standard calendar, and for the
    time I used a dialog that required 2 clicks to input the time, one to set
    hour, by clicking on fields labeled 0-23, with am/pm option.

    Hour:
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    AM PM

    The 0-23 was actually a single field and I got the mouse location to
    determine the hour, the am/pm was a radio set (SAS choice group)

    The minutes I handled by creating a single 60 column text widget with 2
    rows of numbers in a monospace font that looked like (sorry if they don't
    line up here):

    Minute:
    0----|----1----|----2----|----3----|----4----|----5----|----0
    012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789

    where each minute was represented by a vertical set of numbers/symbols
    for 0-5 and 0-9. A click on this field was intercepted, and the horizontal
    location retrieved to determine the minute value.

    Other fields displayed the selected time, and offset from "now". A
    custom prompt string was passed to the routine, and final OK button press
    was optionally required.

    I haven't done this in JavaScript so I don't know how the logistics of
    determining click offest on a fixed font, and popup non-modality would
    actually come together, but the SAS implementation worked very well, and was
    one of my most heavily used utility subs for database input.

    zin
    -- http://www.zintel.com
    George Ziniewicz, Sep 22, 2003