time to learn PHP

Discussion in 'HTML' started by hev, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. hev

    hev Guest

    hev, Feb 14, 2005

  2. hev

    JDS Guest

    JDS, Feb 14, 2005

  3. hev wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a good book or site to learn about PHP?

    There's a very beginning - and very brief - tute here:

    http://www.w3schools.com/

    Left column, Server Scripting section.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Now killing all posts made from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 14, 2005
  4. hev

    Toby Inkster Guest

    JDS wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:03:02 +0000, hev wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone recommend a good book or site to learn about PHP?

    > http://www.php.net

    Seconded. As long as you already have some programming experience (in
    whatever language), then php.net should have all you need to learn PHP.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Feb 14, 2005
  5. hev

    JDS Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:24:58 +0000, Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Seconded. As long as you already have some programming experience (in
    > whatever language), then php.net should have all you need to learn PHP.

    Thirded. Oh, and i was the firsted one, it seems. hmm.

    My findings are that:

    1) PHP.net has fantastic documentation
    2) PHP.net has a very good newbie turorial
    3) PHP.net is searchable (unlike a book, which, GoogleLibrary aside, has
    only an index)
    4) PHP.net is nearly always up-to-date.

    I *NEVER* use a book to look up functions or other reference information
    on PHP. I even teach a PHP class and must use a book for the class
    (because that is what is expected) but the first thing I teach the class
    is how to use PHP.net and throw away the book.

    Google, Google Groups, and PHP.net are all you'll ever need.

    --
    JDS |

    JDS, Feb 14, 2005
  6. hev