Timeout explanation please?

JimLad

Hi,

I've got a very basic asp.net page that accesses a very slow db query
and siplays to screen. I'm hitting a timeout aftre about 3.5 to 4.5
minutes - seems to be variable.

SQL connection string timeout is set to 3000s.
SQL Command timeout is set to 3000s.
IIS Connection Timeout is set to 120s.
ASP.NET script timeout is not set so must use default of 90s.

My question is why am I getting a timeout after 3.5 - 4.5 minutes. I
would have expected either to get a timeout after 90seconds if the
asp.net scripttimeout was kicking in, or after 2 minutes if the IIS
connection setting is the deciding factor?

Cheers,

James

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello JimLad,

what this app do and do u communicate with external stuff like webservices
or just your local service?
is problem solved when u restart iis? local services which u are talking
to, if any?

---
WBR,

J> Hi,
J>
J> I've got a very basic asp.net page that accesses a very slow db query
J> and siplays to screen. I'm hitting a timeout aftre about 3.5 to 4.5
J> minutes - seems to be variable.
J>
J> SQL connection string timeout is set to 3000s.
J> SQL Command timeout is set to 3000s.
J> IIS Connection Timeout is set to 120s.
J> ASP.NET script timeout is not set so must use default of 90s.
J> My question is why am I getting a timeout after 3.5 - 4.5 minutes. I
J> would have expected either to get a timeout after 90seconds if the
J> asp.net scripttimeout was kicking in, or after 2 minutes if the IIS
J> connection setting is the deciding factor?
J>
J> Cheers,
J>
J> James

bruce barker

an iis connection timeout, is how long iis will wait after the last request
for the client to make another. an iis request timeout, is how long iis will
wait for request data to be transfered. an iis response timeout is how long
iis will keep the connection to send the response.

none of these have any effect on how long the server takes to process the
request.

a sqlconnection timeout is the max time allowed to connect to the sqlserver
and probably not relevent. the sqlcommand request timeout is how long to wait
for the request response, it real high so not relevent. if you are running
debug, then the asp.net timeout is disabled (it may also be set high).

at 4/5 minutes the browser can timeout, any proxy can timeout, etc. thats
way too long for a web request to run.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)