Timeout on populating a datagrid

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Paul, May 5, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I sometimes get a timeout error when populating my datagrid,

    the code is
    WizardConnection.Open()

    UpdateCommand.CommandText = "EXECUTE sp_assign_user '" &
    PhysOffice.SelectedValue & "', '" & Context.User.Identity.Name & "'"

    UpdateCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()

    WizardConnection.Close()

    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Paul

    The error is :

    Server Error in '/EmpLinkage' Application.

    Timeout expired

    Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Timeout expired

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [OleDbException (0x80040e31): Timeout expired]
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataReader.ProcessResults(Int32 hr)
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataReader.NextResult()
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior
    behavior, String method)
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)

    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandB
    ehavior behavior)
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillFromCommand(Object data, Int32
    startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command,
    CommandBehavior behavior)
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord,
    Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior
    behavior)
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet)
    EmpLinkage.WebForm1.datagrid() in
    \\sta2wd08\wwwroot$\EmpLinkage\WebForm1.aspx.vb:183
    EmpLinkage.WebForm1.GOButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
    \\sta2wd08\wwwroot$\EmpLinkage\WebForm1.aspx.vb:261
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePo
    stBackEvent(String eventArgument)
    sourceControl, String eventArgument)
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

    Paul, May 5, 2004

  2. Paul

    Scott Allen Guest

    Hi Paul:

    It doens't look like the problem is DataGrid related, but in the
    stored procedure you use to update a record in the database.

    I'd review the stored procedure SQL in a query tool and see how long
    the query is taking. Perhaps the stored procedure is trying to update
    a record in a large table and does not have an index available to find
    the record quickly.

    HTH,

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com

    Scott Allen, May 5, 2004

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    The sproc is reading not updating any database, depending upon the selection
    criteria the sproc can take upto 30 seconds to complete, but asp.net doesn't
    seem to want to wait that long.

    Thanks

    Paul, May 5, 2004
  4. Paul

    Patrice Guest

    You could set a longer timeout but that's already quite long. I would check
    first if it makes sense it take so much time. How many records are returned
    ?

    "Paul" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > The sproc is reading not updating any database, depending upon the

    selection
    > criteria the sproc can take upto 30 seconds to complete, but asp.net

    doesn't
    > seem to want to wait that long.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Scott Allen" <bitmask@[nospam].fred.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi Paul:
    > >
    > > It doens't look like the problem is DataGrid related, but in the
    > > stored procedure you use to update a record in the database.
    > >
    > > I'd review the stored procedure SQL in a query tool and see how long
    > > the query is taking. Perhaps the stored procedure is trying to update
    > > a record in a large table and does not have an index available to find
    > > the record quickly.
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > >
    > > --
    > > Scott
    > > http://www.OdeToCode.com
    > >
    > > On Wed, 5 May 2004 11:30:50 -0400, "Paul" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I sometimes get a timeout error when populating my datagrid,
    > > >
    > > >the code is
    > > >WizardConnection.Open()
    > > >
    > > >UpdateCommand.CommandText = "EXECUTE sp_assign_user '" &
    > > >PhysOffice.SelectedValue & "', '" & Context.User.Identity.Name & "'"
    > > >
    > > >UpdateCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
    > > >
    > > >WizardConnection.Close()
    > > >

    > > >Any suggestions?
    > > >Thanks
    > > >Paul
    > > >
    > > >The error is :
    > > >

    > > >Server Error in '/EmpLinkage' Application.
    > > >

    > > >Timeout expired

    the

    Patrice, May 5, 2004
  5. Paul

    Scott Allen Guest

    Hi Paul:

    Sorry for the confusion, the source code you posted shows
    ExecuteNonQuery, but the stack trace shows the exception occurs on a
    Fill method.

    The CommandTimeout property of an OleDbCommand object defaults to 30
    seconds. Seems possible it could occasionally be going over.

    One approach would be to look at ways to speed up the query, and
    check for locking and blocks in the database. Another approach would
    be to bump the CommandTimeout property up to a number where the query
    can always safely complete.

    --s

    Scott Allen, May 5, 2004