'Timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool.' - Please help.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by UJ, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. UJ

    UJ Guest

    We have recently started getting the following error message:

    Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection
    from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in
    use and max pool size was reached.

    This is on a connection.open command.

    Our ISP is providing the web machine and has many customers on it so I can't
    really tell if it's us or some other customer that is causing the problem.

    They (the ISP) says there's nothing in the event log or the SQL log (but I
    don't believe them, we can't get at them.)

    Does anybody have any ideas what would be causing this.

    The original web site was done by our ASP but then another company made some
    changes. I'm not even sure which section of code this is part of. I'll find
    out.

    But if anybody can give me a direction, it would help greatly.

    With that thought - if you don't close a connection on a page, does it get
    closed and returned to the pool for you? If not - that seems like that would
    be a culprit.

    TIA - Jeff.

    UJ, Feb 10, 2006

  2. UJ

    Hans Kesting Guest

    Re: =?UTF-8?B?J1RpbWVvdXQgcGVyaW9kIGVsYXBzZWQgcHJpb3IgdG8gb2J0YWlu?==?UTF-8?B?aW5nIGEgY29ubmVjdGlvbiBmcm9tIHRoZSBwb29sLicgLSBQbGVhc2UgaGVscC4=?=

    > We have recently started getting the following error message:
    >
    > Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection
    > from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in
    > use and max pool size was reached.
    >
    > This is on a connection.open command.

    SNIP
    > With that thought - if you don't close a connection on a page, does it get
    > closed and returned to the pool for you? If not - that seems like that would
    > be a culprit.
    >
    > TIA - Jeff.

    I think it will be closed, when the GarbageCollector eventually cleans
    up after you. Best is to close that connection as soon as you are done
    with it (and wrap that in a try/finally, so you are *sure* it will be
    closed, even if the command failed).

    I don't know how that connectionpool is managed. One per machine, one
    per application or somewhere inbetween (application pool)? This decides
    whether other applications can "steal" your available connections.

    Hans Kesting

    Hans Kesting, Feb 10, 2006