Timeout when calling a webservice from C#

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by subha, Nov 16, 2004.

  1. subha

    subha Guest

    I get a timeout when calling a webservice from C#. Works fine in
    browser. I am not doing anything out of the box. The same works on
    other machines but not on mine. I tried writing HelloWorld service and
    calling it and I get the same error.

    I saw other posts relating to this (one talked about SETI and other
    screen savers but I don't know which of my programs could be the
    reason. I have tried uninstalling most of them).

    I tried changing the localhost in the Reference.cs to my ipconfig and
    I get a
    Socket Exception.

    Any pointers will help..

    WITH IPADDRESS THE ERROR IS
    'WindowsApplication1.exe': Loaded 'oevrvyg9', No symbols loaded.
    A first chance exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException'
    occurred in system.dll

    Additional information: Object reference not set to an instance of an
    object.

    A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.Sockets.SocketException'
    occurred in system.dll

    Additional information: An established connection was aborted by the
    software in your host machine

    A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.IOException' occurred in
    system.dll

    Additional information: Unable to read data from the transport
    connection.

    A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in
    system.dll

    Additional information: The underlying connection was closed: An
    unexpected error occurred on a receive.

    A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in
    system.web.services.dll

    Additional information: The underlying connection was closed: An
    unexpected error occurred on a receive.

    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest
    request)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest
    request)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
    methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at WindowsApplication1.localhost.Service1.HelloWorld() in
    D:\WindowsApplication1\Web References\localhost\Reference.cs:line 37
    at WindowsApplication1.Form1.cmdBegin_Click(Object sender,
    EventArgs e) in d:\windowsapplication1\form1.cs:line 97

    WITH LOCAL HOST THE ERROR IS
    Additional information: The operation has timed-out.

    subha, Nov 16, 2004

  2. subha

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi,

    I'll need some more information about how you set up the service virtual
    directory to get started. For instance, a look at the code would help. I
    know you stated it was a hello world, but I want to confirm that it's not
    something obvious.

    The next thing to do is to look at the configuration of the Vroot itself.
    Since the debugger starts (e.g. shows the IE pages with the automatic
    documentation), but from what you say, the SOAP dispatch isn't working when
    called form a C# program...

    Have you considered that the calling program is the issue? Again, some
    facts about how you created this calling program, the relevant calling code
    snippets, and what, if anything, you did to the machine similar to your
    changing the machine config file (hint: NEVER touch this file as a rule!)

    Hopefully we can drill into what changed, undoing those changes, and
    figuring out what is working.

    Regards

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    --------------------
    >From: (subha)
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    >Subject: Timeout when calling a webservice from C#
    >Date: 15 Nov 2004 17:52:04 -0800

    01:52:05 GMT)

    Dan Rogers, Nov 16, 2004

  3. subha

    subha Guest

    Which code would you like. Is there an ftp server where I can upload my zip
    file? The virtual directory was setup when the ASP.NET webservice was
    creating using the Visual Studio wizard.
    calling program is a windows form app (I have put some relevant snippets
    below) created using visual studio wizard.
    I did mess around with machine.config initially but I uninstalled and
    reinstalled IIS and did not touch it after that. I can put that also for you
    in the zip file if I can somehow attach files. What section of the config
    would you like to see and I can post it here
    FORMS APP
    private void cmdBegin_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    {
    try
    {

    localhost.Service1 x = new localhost.Service1();
    // x.Timeout = 90000;
    // x.Timeout = -1;
    x.HelloWorld();
    System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(x.HelloWorld());
    }
    catch(Exception exct)
    {
    System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(exct.Message.ToString());
    // System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(exct.Source.ToString());
    System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine("INNER EXCEPTION" +
    exct.InnerException.StackTrace.ToString());
    System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(exct.StackTrace.ToString());

    HELLO WORLD WEBSERVICE

    [WebMethod]
    public string HelloWorld()
    {
    return "Hello World";
    }

    GENERATED Reference.cs when adding the Web Reference using Visual Studio IDE
    public Service1() {
    this.Url = "http://localhost/WebService2/Service1.asmx";
    }
    EXCEPTION STACK TRACE
    'WindowsApplication1.exe': Loaded 'va_qba8p', No symbols loaded.
    The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a
    receive.
    An unhandled exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in
    WindowsApplication1.exe

    Additional information: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

    Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set
    to an instance of an object.
    at WindowsApplication1.Form1.cmdBegin_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    in d:\windowsapplication1\form1.cs:line 104
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons
    button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd,
    Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
    at
    System.Windows.Forms.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods+IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32
    dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason,
    ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason,
    ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
    at WindowsApplication1.Form1.Main() in
    d:\windowsapplication1\form1.cs:line 84The program '[2752]
    WindowsApplication1.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

    subha, Nov 16, 2004
  4. subha

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Let's start by just building a new proxy and just calling hello world. The
    time-out stuff - is it happening immediately?

    As a thing to try, go to the vroot for the service using IIS services
    manager, click on properties, look at applicatton settings properties.

    If the applicaiton name is blank, try this:
    Click the remove button. The button should turn to a "create" button after
    this. Click the create button. Click "Apply" at the bottom of the form,
    and then click OK.
    Try your new test application again.

    If it still doesn't work, we'll have to start figuring out what part of
    your .NET framework isn't set up correctly.

    Regards,

    Dan

    --------------------
    >From: "=?Utf-8?B?c3ViaGE=?=" <>

    <>
> [...]

    >> know you stated it was a hello world, but I want to confirm that it's

    not
    >> something obvious.
    >>
    >> The next thing to do is to look at the configuration of the Vroot

    itself.
    >> Since the debugger starts (e.g. shows the IE pages with the automatic
    >> documentation), but from what you say, the SOAP dispatch isn't working

    when
    >> called form a C# program...
    >>
    >> Have you considered that the calling program is the issue? Again, some
    >> facts about how you created this calling program, the relevant calling

    code
    >> snippets, and what, if anything, you did to the machine similar to your
    >> changing the machine config file (hint: NEVER touch this file as a rule!)
    >>
    >> Hopefully we can drill into what changed, undoing those changes, and

    cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED02.phx.gbl!tornado.fastwebnet.it!tiscali!new

    Dan Rogers, Nov 16, 2004