Timeout when debugging in web service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Dale, Nov 6, 2007.

  1. Dale

    Dale Guest

    I am trying to step through a web service call in .Net 2.0 with VS2005. The
    application is running in the VS2005 web server, not IIS. The web service
    client is a .Net 2.0 console application.

    At one call to a long running method (about 20+ minutes in production) the
    client throws a timeout exception as described in
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/47096yt2(VS.71).aspx. This happens
    about 90 seconds after entering the web service call.

    I had initially set the TimeOut value to 3600 - which I still think should
    have worked - but following the instructions in the article above, I set the
    TimeOut to -1. This had no effect on the problem. I still timeout after
    about 90 seconds.

    I also set the httpRuntime executionTimeout value to 3600 in my web.config.

    Any ideas on how to fix this timeout problem?

    Thanks,

    Dale
    --
    Dale Preston
    MCAD C#
    Dale, Nov 6, 2007

  2. Dale

    Dale Guest

    Just an update, this timeout is occuring even when not debugging.

    Thanks,

    Dale

    Dale, Nov 6, 2007

  3. Dale

    Dale Guest

    Whoops. I need to learn how to read, I guess. The timeout is an
    SqlClient.SqlException. I need to set the CommandTimeout on the connection.

    I apologize for any wasted time.

    Dale

    Dale, Nov 6, 2007
  4. Dale

    Andrew Faust Guest

    Sounds like you found the solution to the exception you were getting.
    However, may I make a design suggestion? If you anticipate a web service
    call to take 20 minutes to return a result, could you instead redesign to
    make the client submit the request. Have the web service return an
    acknowledgement that it would start work. You can then have your client
    continuously checking back in (every 30 seconds or so) until the server was
    finished.

    This method takes a bit more work, but it will be more scalable and less
    interuption prone. With your current model you're tying up network
    resources on the server. Additionally, if there is any network hiccup in
    that 20 minutes you've lost the work and will have to restart with a new
    request.

    --
    Andrew Faust
    andrew[at]andrewfaust.com

    Andrew Faust, Nov 7, 2007
  5. Dale

    Dale Guest

    That's a good suggestion. Given the opportunity to make a change like that,
    I'll definitely do something like that.

    Thanks,

    Dale

    Dale, Nov 7, 2007