    that would be great.

    Any ideas? Any freeware out there that could do this?

    Jason

    Dr. Jason Gastrich, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Dr. Jason Gastrich

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:FKWPb.4988$>
    "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <> said:

    > I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site.

    not possible

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 22, 2004

  3. brucie wrote:

    > in post: <news:FKWPb.4988$>
    > "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <> said:
    >

    >>I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site.

    > not possible

    Not in HTML, true, but if his visitors actually have to log in, as the
    original poster implied, it is not only possible but (probably) easily
    done. Depends on how they log-in and out, though, and it's of course not
    really an HTML question.

    --
    Nicolai Zwar -- http://www.nicolaizwar.com

    "I don't post off-topic digests. I consistently ask the antagonists
    what their postings have to do with classical music, which happens to be
    the topic of this newsgroup."
    (Dr. David J. Tholen, Astronomer, in his "Antagonists Digest, Volume
    2452972, posted in rec.music.classical)

    Nicolai P. Zwar, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Dr. Jason Gastrich

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:bupeib$blp$>
    "Nicolai P. Zwar" <> said:

    >>>I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site.

    >> not possible

    > Not in HTML, true, but if his visitors actually have to log in, as the
    > original poster implied, it is not only possible

    it is not

    > but (probably) easily done.

    it is not

    > Depends on how they log-in and out, though,

    it does not

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Dr. Jason Gastrich

    Jay Guest

    "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site. If the

    timer
    > could keep track of the amounts of time that logged in visitors spend,

    then
    > that would be great.
    >
    > Any ideas? Any freeware out there that could do this?

    As an alternative you could purchase web log analyzing software and see the
    activity level by length of visit and activity level by the hour.

    (what does free.christians have to do with this?)

    - J

    Jay, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Dr. Jason Gastrich

    Ariaan Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site. If
    >> the timer could keep track of the amounts of time that logged in
    >> visitors spend, then that would be great.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? Any freeware out there that could do this?

    > As an alternative you could purchase web log analyzing software and
    > see the activity level by length of visit and activity level by the
    > hour.
    >
    > (what does free.christians have to do with this?)
    >
    > - J

    He's in it. He posts from there.

    And your solution is probably better than the other one, since this would
    avoid the problem of people logging in but not logging out.

    Ariaan

    Ariaan, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Dr. Jason Gastrich

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:f7XPb.9914$>
    "Jay" <> said:

    >> I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site.

    > As an alternative you could purchase web log analyzing software and see the
    > activity level by length of visit and activity level by the hour.

    You can't tell the identity of your readers.
    You can't tell how many visitors you've had.
    You can't tell how many visits you've had.
    Cookies don't solve these problems.
    You can't follow a person's path through your site.
    You often can't tell where they entered your site, or where they found
    out about you from.
    You can't tell how they left your site, or where they went next.
    You can't tell how long people spent reading each page.
    You can't tell how long people spent on your site.
    http://www.analog.cx/docs/webworks.html

    Why web usage statistics are (worse than) meaningless
    http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/webstats/

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 22, 2004
  8. Jay wrote:
    > "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site. If
    >> the timer could keep track of the amounts of time that logged in
    >> visitors spend, then that would be great.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? Any freeware out there that could do this?

    > As an alternative you could purchase web log analyzing software and
    > see the activity level by length of visit and activity level by the
    > hour.
    >
    > (what does free.christians have to do with this?)
    >
    > - J

    Thanks for your input. My CPanel has awstats, so I could track time by IP
    address, but this is a last resort.

    I created the free.christians newsgroup and simply cross-posted to the group
    where I frequent.

    JG

    Dr. Jason Gastrich, Jan 22, 2004
  9. Nicolai P. Zwar wrote:
    > brucie wrote:
    >
    >> in post: <news:FKWPb.4988$>
    >> "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <> said:
    >>

    >>> I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site.

    >> not possible

    > Not in HTML, true, but if his visitors actually have to log in, as the
    > original poster implied, it is not only possible but (probably) easily
    > done. Depends on how they log-in and out, though, and it's of course
    > not really an HTML question.

    Thanks, Nicolai.

    Is this a java question? Can you point me in the right direction?

    JG

    Dr. Jason Gastrich, Jan 22, 2004
  10. Dr. Jason Gastrich

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Dr. Jason Gastrich scribbled in the mud:

    > I created the free.christians newsgroup and simply cross-posted to the
    > group where I frequent.

    Why?

    --
    Duende

    Duende, Jan 22, 2004
  11. Dr. Jason Gastrich

    Roger K Guest

    > Jay wrote:
    > > "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site. If
    > >> the timer could keep track of the amounts of time that logged in
    > >> visitors spend, then that would be great.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas? Any freeware out there that could do this?

    > > As an alternative you could purchase web log analyzing software and
    > > see the activity level by length of visit and activity level by the
    > > hour.
    > >
    > > (what does free.christians have to do with this?)
    > >
    > > - J

    > Thanks for your input. My CPanel has awstats, so I could track time by IP
    > address, but this is a last resort.

    The Java option from SiteMeter http://www.sitemeter.com/ claims to provide
    the stats - it's free and easy to put on your site.

    Roger

    Roger K, Jan 22, 2004
  12. Dr. Jason Gastrich

    Andy Hassall Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:52:53 GMT, "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <> wrote:

    >I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site. If the timer
    >could keep track of the amounts of time that logged in visitors spend, then
    >that would be great.
    >
    >Any ideas? Any freeware out there that could do this?

    You can't tell when someone leaves; the closest you can get, under ideal
    conditions (i.e. some sort of foolproof login system), is the time between when
    they first accessed a page, and when they next accessed a page. They could have
    done anything they like in between accesses, so correctly assessing how much
    time they spent 'on' your site isn't possible.

    (Without lots of intrusive plugins and attatching sensors to their eyeballs
    tracking which window they're looking at, anyway)

    Measuring total time across several consecutive accesses, with some sort of
    timeout period between long accesses, is probably close enough though.

    --
    Andy Hassall <> / Space: disk usage analysis tool
    <http://www.andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space>

    Andy Hassall, Jan 22, 2004
  13. Dr. Jason Gastrich

    Routerider Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site. If the

    timer
    > could keep track of the amounts of time that logged in visitors spend,

    then
    > that would be great.
    >
    > Any ideas? Any freeware out there that could do this?
    >
    > Jason

    Yes you can track how much time visitors spend on your site...but this kind
    of software is generally not freeware.

    Routerider, Jan 22, 2004
  14. Andy Hassall wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:52:53 GMT, "Dr. Jason Gastrich"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site. If
    >> the timer could keep track of the amounts of time that logged in
    >> visitors spend, then that would be great.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? Any freeware out there that could do this?

    > You can't tell when someone leaves; the closest you can get, under
    > ideal conditions (i.e. some sort of foolproof login system), is the
    > time between when they first accessed a page, and when they next
    > accessed a page. They could have done anything they like in between
    > accesses, so correctly assessing how much time they spent 'on' your
    > site isn't possible.
    >
    > (Without lots of intrusive plugins and attatching sensors to their
    > eyeballs tracking which window they're looking at, anyway)
    >
    > Measuring total time across several consecutive accesses, with some
    > sort of timeout period between long accesses, is probably close
    > enough though.

    This is a very good point. The timer is to make sure a person spends 20
    hours (or whatever the hour requirement is in their state) for a certain
    professional task. There is no way to tell if they are watching TV or
    actually studying the material.

    I'm making this site for a friend, so I'll run this by him and see what he
    wants.

    Thanks,
    Jason

    Dr. Jason Gastrich, Jan 23, 2004
  15. Dr. Jason Gastrich

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:eek:X3Qb.7538$>
    "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <> said:

    >> Measuring total time across several consecutive accesses, with some
    >> sort of timeout period between long accesses, is probably close
    >> enough though.

    just as accurate as making wild guesses. GIGO

    > This is a very good point. The timer is to make sure a person spends 20
    > hours (or whatever the hour requirement is in their state) for a certain
    > professional task.

    you're wasting your time, it is not possible

    > There is no way to tell if they are watching TV or actually studying
    > the material.

    that makes sense considering you cant even tell something as simple as
    determining if they're on your site at all.

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 23, 2004
  16. brucie wrote:
    > in post: <news:bupeib$blp$>

    >>>not possible

    >>Not in HTML, true, but if his visitors actually have to log in, as the
    >>original poster implied, it is not only possible

    > it is not

    If that were so, how do you explain the fact that my bank or my
    cell-phone provider have log stats as to my log-ins and log-outs?

    >>but (probably) easily done.

    > it is not
    >

    >>Depends on how they log-in and out, though,

    > it does not

    How come my bank or my cell-phone provider know when and for how long
    I've been logged into my account if it is not possible?

    Nicolai P. Zwar, Jan 23, 2004
  17. Dr. Jason Gastrich

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:buqqqr$7fo$>
    "Nicolai P. Zwar" <> said:

    >>>Not in HTML, true, but if his visitors actually have to log in, as the
    >>>original poster implied, it is not only possible

    >> it is not

    > If that were so, how do you explain the fact that my bank or my
    > cell-phone provider have log stats as to my log-ins and log-outs?

    you're a little light on details but for a phone when the call ends
    you're obviously not still logged in. for your bank over http/s they
    wouldn't have a clue.

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 23, 2004
  18. Dr. Jason Gastrich

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Nicolai P. Zwar" <> wrote:
    >brucie wrote:
    >> in post: <news:bupeib$blp$>

    >>>Not in HTML, true, but if his visitors actually have to log in, as the
    >>>original poster implied, it is not only possible

    >> it is not

    >If that were so, how do you explain the fact that my bank or my
    >cell-phone provider have log stats as to my log-ins and log-outs?

    They guess.

    They assume that if you do nothing for X minutes then you have shut
    the browser, or switched off the computer, or simple forgotten about
    it. At that point they decide to log you out automatically and record
    that time.

    For a banking site logging users out after five minutes of inactivity
    is acceptable. For an distance learning course or a network monitoring
    service such an action would not be acceptable.

    >>>Depends on how they log-in and out, though,

    >> it does not

    >How come my bank or my cell-phone provider know when and for how long
    >I've been logged into my account if it is not possible?

    Recording the time someone logs in is easy. If they actually log out
    then that is also easy to record. But if they don't log out, if they
    leave the site open, or leave the site without logging out, then any
    time is a pure guess.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Jan 23, 2004
  19. Dr. Jason Gastrich

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:>
    Steve Pugh <> said:

    > For a banking site logging users out after five minutes of inactivity
    > is acceptable. For an distance learning course or a network monitoring
    > service such an action would not be acceptable.

    when my bank first stated the internet banking thingy if you didn't log
    out you stayed logged in until midnight which was a real pain in the bum
    if you tried to login again. it wouldn't allow it. now it times out
    after 10 minutes.

    another bank i use allows you to fill out details for a bank cheque and
    have it mailed off somewhere. if you're really really fast you can fill
    out the form and hit submit before you're logged out but it usually
    takes at least 3 attempts.

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 23, 2004