    any ideas?

    --
    Rikard
    Rikard, Mar 4, 2005

  2. Rikard

    Jim Guest

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 01:41:42 +0100, Rikard <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Looking for a function that returns the timezone for any given point.
    >I want to feed it with longitude and latitude.
    >
    >any ideas?

    The trivial timezone algorithm is +/- 1 hour for every
    15 degrees longitude, latitude doesn't really matter.

    The bad news is there are very few time zones that
    are that neatly arranged. See the following

    http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/world_tzones.html

    As you can see, as long as you're out over water
    (most of time) you're ok, but get anywhere close
    to where people live........

    Jim
    Jim, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Rikard

    Alun Harford Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 01:41:42 +0100, Rikard <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >Looking for a function that returns the timezone for any given point.
    > >I want to feed it with longitude and latitude.
    > >
    > >any ideas?

    > The trivial timezone algorithm is +/- 1 hour for every
    > 15 degrees longitude, latitude doesn't really matter.
    >
    > The bad news is there are very few time zones that
    > are that neatly arranged. See the following
    >
    > http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/world_tzones.html
    >
    > As you can see, as long as you're out over water
    > (most of time) you're ok, but get anywhere close
    > to where people live........

    And that doesn't take into account places that change their clocks depending
    on the time of year.

    Alun Harford
    Alun Harford, Mar 4, 2005
  4. Rikard

    Rhino Guest

    "Alun Harford" <> wrote in message
    > "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 01:41:42 +0100, Rikard <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hi
    > > >
    > > >Looking for a function that returns the timezone for any given point.
    > > >I want to feed it with longitude and latitude.
    > > >
    > > >any ideas?

    > > The trivial timezone algorithm is +/- 1 hour for every
    > > 15 degrees longitude, latitude doesn't really matter.
    > >
    > > The bad news is there are very few time zones that
    > > are that neatly arranged. See the following
    > >
    > > http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/world_tzones.html
    > >
    > > As you can see, as long as you're out over water
    > > (most of time) you're ok, but get anywhere close
    > > to where people live........
    > >

    > And that doesn't take into account places that change their clocks

    depending
    > on the time of year.

    Or who change it by unusual amounts. Although the norm is to move the clocks
    ahead one hour for summer time, some areas move their clocks forward
    different amounts. I've heard of two hours and even of one place that moves
    their clocks only 15 minutes.

    And some places don't participate in daylight savings time at all. I think
    Saskatchewan is on permanent summer time - or is it "double summer time"?

    Rhino
    Rhino, Mar 4, 2005