TIming

WIdgeteye

HI,
I am trying to write a little program that will run a program on
scedule. I am having trouble understanding the datetime, time, sched
modules. What I would like is something like this:

If date&time = 06-13-2006:18:00:00
Then run this program

I am not sure how to enter a future date in this equation using any
of the modules mentioned above. I have figured out how to get the date
and time from the modules above but not the future and then compare
the two.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Tim Roberts

WIdgeteye said:
HI,
I am trying to write a little program that will run a program on
scedule. I am having trouble understanding the datetime, time, sched
modules. What I would like is something like this:

If date&time = 06-13-2006:18:00:00
Then run this program

I am not sure how to enter a future date in this equation using any
of the modules mentioned above. I have figured out how to get the date
and time from the modules above but not the future and then compare
the two.

What operating system are you using? Both Linux and Windows have commands
that can do this for you. It's more efficient to use existing operating
system services than to invent your own.

Also, remember to take into account the possibility that your program might
not check the time at the exact second. In your example, you need to be
prepared to start your app if the time is just PAST 6 PM on June 13.

WIdgeteye

What operating system are you using? Both Linux and Windows have commands
that can do this for you. It's more efficient to use existing operating
system services than to invent your own.

Also, remember to take into account the possibility that your program
might not check the time at the exact second. In your example, you need
to be prepared to start your app if the time is just PAST 6 PM on June 13.

I am using Linux and could use cron. But I want to be able to
schedule and record television shows on her. And yeah I know about
freevo but it's way to complicated than it needs to be.

So back to the question: How can I get a 9 position tuple from
the time functions in Python based on a future date.

Thanks.

John McMonagle

I am using Linux and could use cron. But I want to be able to
schedule and record television shows on her. And yeah I know about
freevo but it's way to complicated than it needs to be.

So back to the question: How can I get a 9 position tuple from
the time functions in Python based on a future date.

Tim Roberts is right. As you are on linux, I suggest you investigate
the at command - very user friendly and not at all complicated.

bruno at modulix

WIdgeteye said:
HI,
I am trying to write a little program that will run a program on
scedule.

<ot>
There are usually existing programs to do so on most platforms (cron on
*n*x, the Windows scheduler, etc).
</ot>

WIdgeteye

Tim Roberts is right. As you are on linux, I suggest you investigate the
at command - very user friendly and not at all complicated.

I have been using Slackware for over 10 years I know all about the
commands on the OS.
If you guys don't have an answer to the question just say so. But don't
give me suggestions on how to use an OS I have been using most likely
longer than 90% of the people using linux today.

This is the comp.lang.python news group not the linux news group. If I
didn't want to write the Python code and I wanted to use the OS commands
instead I would.

Python is cross platform. Linux is not. I intend to release the software
to the general public someday when it is done. I want it cross platform.

BTW in the time it took me NOT to get an answer for my question in this so
called Python NG, I figured it out for myself.

This PYTHON NG blows to high heaven. Whats worse, the answers I got were
most likely from people who know SQUAT about Python scripting. That's why
they gave me such lame fucking answers.

Idiots.

John Bokma

WIdgeteye said:
BTW in the time it took me NOT to get an answer for my question in
this so called Python NG, I figured it out for myself.

Maybe you want to post the solution in order to help others with similar
problems in the future?

Tim Roberts

WIdgeteye said:
I have been using Slackware for over 10 years I know all about the
commands on the OS.

If you guys don't have an answer to the question just say so. But don't
give me suggestions on how to use an OS I have been using most likely
longer than 90% of the people using linux today.

This is the comp.lang.python news group not the linux news group. If I
didn't want to write the Python code and I wanted to use the OS commands
instead I would.

Utter nonsense. If someone posted on comp.lang.python that they wanted to
know how to write a DMA-based PCI driver in Python, I am sure as heck going
to tell them that there are better tools for the job and better newsgroups
for the question.
Python is cross platform. Linux is not. I intend to release the software
to the general public someday when it is done. I want it cross platform.

Windows also has an "at" command.

However, you are not going to be able to write a television-based
application that is cross platform. The video tools are just too
different.
BTW in the time it took me NOT to get an answer for my question in this so
called Python NG, I figured it out for myself.

That's almost always the case with newsgroups. They are NOT a real-time
medium.
This PYTHON NG blows to high heaven. Whats worse, the answers I got were
most likely from people who know SQUAT about Python scripting. That's why
they gave me such lame fucking answers.

We did not give you "lame fucking answers". We gave you solutions to the
problem you posed. If the problem statement wasn't clear enough, that
isn't our fault.

It takes one to know one.