Timing

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by m_j_mather@yahoo.com.au, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I'm neck deep in ASP.NET and sinking fast ;) Any help much
    appreciated.

    I have two user controls on a page that I want to communicate with each
    other. One control is called RoleList and allows the user to select
    the type of view they wish to see on the page. The other control(s) -
    sometimes there may be several - then change the stored proc, query etc
    they use to extract info from sql.

    Therefore, I have set up the RoleList to generate an event and coded
    the other control(s) to listen and recieve it.

    The problem is timing. I've done some tracing to see what happens and
    when:

    1 aspx.page Begin Init
    2 aspx.page End Init
    3 aspx.page Begin LoadViewState
    4 aspx.page End LoadViewState
    5 aspx.page Begin ProcessPostData
    6 aspx.page End ProcessPostData
    7 Control ID: RoleList - role was previously set in the viewstate:
    tutor
    8 Control ID: StudentList - role was previously set in the viewstate:
    tutor
    9 aspx.page Begin ProcessPostData Second Try
    10 aspx.page End ProcessPostData Second Try
    11 aspx.page Begin Raise ChangedEvents
    12 aspx.page End Raise ChangedEvents
    13 aspx.page Begin Raise PostBackEvent
    14 Changing role to: Secretary
    15 Control ID: RoleList - changed role to: Secretary
    16 Control ID: StudentList - changed role to: Secretary
    17 aspx.page End Raise PostBackEvent
    18 aspx.page Begin PreRender
    19 aspx.page End PreRender
    20 aspx.page Begin SaveViewState
    21 aspx.page End SaveViewState
    22 aspx.page Begin Render
    23 aspx.page End Render

    Line 7 and 8 came from the page_load event in each control.

    Line 14 came from the event being fired and the next two is where the
    event is caught.

    But the Load event (which contains the data binding for the list /
    grids etc) for the response has already happened! Therefore the user
    must click the role they want to see TWICE!!!

    I could probably make some public properties in the base page and
    read/write info from them to get around this. But this will mess up my
    otherwise quite low coupling and I don't want to.

    Thanks in adv.

    Mark.

    , Jan 26, 2005