TimingAnalyzer is now freeware

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by timinganalyzer, Jun 20, 2009.

  1. Hi All,

    I just wanted to let you know that the TimingAnalyzer is now licensed
    as freeware. I just don't have the time needed to make a high
    quality commercial product but I do want to keep the development
    moving forward and continue to fix problems and add new features as
    time permits.

    Recently, I have become very interested in Python and using it to
    develop similar type cad programs. My plan is to convert the
    TimingAnalyzer Java to Python with mostly a scripting interface for
    building complex timing diagrams, doing timing analysis, creating
    testbenches and testvectors from waveform diagrams,
    and creating timing diagrams from simulation VCD files. Most all of
    this is text based work anyway.

    Developing professional GUIs is very time consuming for me. This has
    been my bottleneck with the program all along. With a command line
    interface, you will execute a script and in one window, and view and
    edit and print the timing diagram shown in another window. Like
    Matlab interface.

    If anyone is interested in helping with the development, I will make
    this an open source project. Just let me know if your interested.

    Thanks,
    Dan Fabrizio

    timinganalyzer, Jun 20, 2009

  2. timinganalyzer

    Guest

    On Jun 20, 6:51 pm, timinganalyzer <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just wanted to let you know that the TimingAnalyzer is now licensed
    > as freeware.   I just don't have the time needed to make a high
    > quality commercial product but I do want to keep the development
    > moving forward and continue to fix problems and add new features as
    > time permits.
    >
    > Recently, I have become very interested in Python and using it to
    > develop similar type cad programs.  My plan is to convert the
    > TimingAnalyzer Java to Python with mostly a scripting interface for
    > building complex timing diagrams, doing timing analysis,  creating
    > testbenches and testvectors from waveform diagrams,
    > and creating timing diagrams from simulation VCD files.  Most all of
    > this is text based work anyway.
    >
    > Developing professional GUIs is very time consuming for me.  This has
    > been my bottleneck with the program all along.  With a command line
    > interface,  you will execute a script and in one window,  and view and
    > edit and print the timing diagram shown in another window.   Like
    > Matlab interface.
    >
    > If anyone is interested in helping with the development,  I will make
    > this an open source project.   Just let me know if your interested.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dan Fabrizio

    a link to your webpage would help
    (for those who are lazy)

    Antti

    , Jun 20, 2009

  3. timinganalyzer

    chewie Guest

    On Jun 20, 12:24 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On Jun 20, 6:51 pm, timinganalyzer <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi All,

    > > I just wanted to let you know that the TimingAnalyzer is now licensed
    > > as freeware.   I just don't have the time needed to make a high
    > > quality commercial product but I do want to keep the development
    > > moving forward and continue to fix problems and add new features as
    > > time permits.

    > > Recently, I have become very interested in Python and using it to
    > > develop similar type cad programs.  My plan is to convert the
    > > TimingAnalyzer Java to Python with mostly a scripting interface for
    > > building complex timing diagrams, doing timing analysis,  creating
    > > testbenches and testvectors from waveform diagrams,
    > > and creating timing diagrams from simulation VCD files.  Most all of
    > > this is text based work anyway.

    > > Developing professional GUIs is very time consuming for me.  This has
    > > been my bottleneck with the program all along.  With a command line
    > > interface,  you will execute a script and in one window,  and view and
    > > edit and print the timing diagram shown in another window.   Like
    > > Matlab interface.

    > > If anyone is interested in helping with the development,  I will make
    > > this an open source project.   Just let me know if your interested.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Dan Fabrizio

    > a link to your webpage would help
    > (for those who are lazy)
    >
    > Antti

    Sorry about that. The website is:

    www.timing-diagrams.com

    chewie, Jun 20, 2009
  4. timinganalyzer

    James Harris Guest

    On 20 June, 16:51, timinganalyzer <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just wanted to let you know that the TimingAnalyzer is now licensed
    > as freeware.   I just don't have the time needed to make a high
    > quality commercial product but I do want to keep the development
    > moving forward and continue to fix problems and add new features as
    > time permits.
    >
    > Recently, I have become very interested in Python and using it to
    > develop similar type cad programs.  My plan is to convert the
    > TimingAnalyzer Java to Python with mostly a scripting interface for
    > building complex timing diagrams, doing timing analysis,  creating
    > testbenches and testvectors from waveform diagrams,
    > and creating timing diagrams from simulation VCD files.  Most all of
    > this is text based work anyway.
    >
    > Developing professional GUIs is very time consuming for me.  This has
    > been my bottleneck with the program all along.  With a command line
    > interface,  you will execute a script and in one window,  and view and
    > edit and print the timing diagram shown in another window.   Like
    > Matlab interface.
    >
    > If anyone is interested in helping with the development,  I will make
    > this an open source project.   Just let me know if your interested.

    I prefer command-line interfaces in general. They are more flexible
    and can be automated.

    Good choice to move to Python as long as the speed holds up. You may
    want to inclulde comp.lang.python.

    James

    James Harris, Jul 3, 2009
  5. timinganalyzer

    chewie Guest

    On Jul 3, 9:18 am, James Harris <> wrote:
    > On 20 June, 16:51, timinganalyzer <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi All,

    > > I just wanted to let you know that the TimingAnalyzer is now licensed
    > > as freeware.   I just don't have the time needed to make a high
    > > quality commercial product but I do want to keep the development
    > > moving forward and continue to fix problems and add new features as
    > > time permits.

    > > Recently, I have become very interested in Python and using it to
    > > develop similar type cad programs.  My plan is to convert the
    > > TimingAnalyzer Java to Python with mostly a scripting interface for
    > > building complex timing diagrams, doing timing analysis,  creating
    > > testbenches and testvectors from waveform diagrams,
    > > and creating timing diagrams from simulation VCD files.  Most all of
    > > this is text based work anyway.

    > > Developing professional GUIs is very time consuming for me.  This has
    > > been my bottleneck with the program all along.  With a command line
    > > interface,  you will execute a script and in one window,  and view and
    > > edit and print the timing diagram shown in another window.   Like
    > > Matlab interface.

    > > If anyone is interested in helping with the development,  I will make
    > > this an open source project.   Just let me know if your interested.

    > I prefer command-line interfaces in general. They are more flexible
    > and can be automated.
    >
    > Good choice to move to Python as long as the speed holds up. You may
    > want to inclulde comp.lang.python.
    >
    > James

    Thanks James. I did post a similar message on comp.lang.python.
    If there are some speed bottlenecks in Python, there is always the
    option
    of writing only those parts in a C extension.

    chewie, Jul 3, 2009
  6. timinganalyzer

    Petrov Guest

    On Jul 3, 11:52 am, chewie <> wrote:
    > Thanks James.  I did post a similar message on comp.lang.python.
    > If there are some speed bottlenecks in Python,  there is always the
    > option
    > of writing only those parts in a C extension.- Hide quoted text -

    Personally... I wouldn't bother optimizing it with a C extension.
    Programmer time is more expensive than computing time. Computers are
    getting faster every year. Soon, the slow parts might not even be
    noticeable.

    Pete

    Petrov, Jul 6, 2009