Tips to Reverse engineering .DRV and .DLL !!

bluekarthik

Hi ,
Hi, has anyone tried reverse engineering a .drv / .dll file ?
Plz tell me some techniques to reverse engineer .drv / .dll files !!
karthik bala guru

dandelion

Hi ,
Hi, has anyone tried reverse engineering a .drv / .dll file ?
Plz tell me some techniques to reverse engineer .drv / .dll files !!

Disassemble and study/annotate the results. However, this is not permitted
(or rather explicitly forbidden) by the EULA you accepted.

Apart from being *fully* off topic.

Joona I Palaste

(e-mail address removed) scribbled the following:
Hi ,
Hi, has anyone tried reverse engineering a .drv / .dll file ?
Plz tell me some techniques to reverse engineer .drv / .dll files !!
karthik bala guru

What has this got to do with C?

Mark McIntyre

Hi ,
Hi, has anyone tried reverse engineering a .drv / .dll file ?
Plz tell me some techniques to reverse engineer .drv / .dll files !!

This has nothing to do with C. Please go ask in a Windows programming group
(I'm asuming you refer to some windows stuff)

Also do a websearch on "decompiler" and "reverse engineering" and be
prepared to be depressed:

Precis: its not generally possible, irrespective of the file's extension.

Longer version: in highly specific cases, you can do it. Those
circumstances are so rare as to be in the forgeddaboutit bucket. Generally
its more expensive than buying the company that wrote the original source.

KiLVaiDeN

Hi ,
Hi, has anyone tried reverse engineering a .drv / .dll file ?
Plz tell me some techniques to reverse engineer .drv / .dll files !!
karthik bala guru

Take a look at OllyDbg in google. You need to know ASM though.

Albert van der Horst

Disassemble and study/annotate the results. However, this is not permitted
(or rather explicitly forbidden) by the EULA you accepted.

OT and for its sweeping character incorrect.
At least in the Netherlands, even if the EULA were
a written statement, and you had signed it, you would probably be
allowed to reverse
engineer a .drv file that came with a Win**s machine e.g. to run it
with linux. YMMV and IANAL.
Unsigned EULA's OTOH aren't worth the paper they are written on ;-) .
Apart from being *fully* off topic.

Agreed to that. I'm a sinner now, anyway. So I could as well
give an answer:
http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst/forthassembler.html

(Yes, that is me.)

Groetjes Albert

dd

You'll need:
* disassembler like IDA;
* strong knowledge of assembler;
* very good knowledge of source language (typically C or C+ASM in case
of .DRV);
* strong knowledge of compiler patterns, e.g. how exactly source
language structures translated by compiler into assembler;
* patience.

(www.conus.info / Reverse engineering services)