title in popup

Discussion in 'HTML' started by meltedown, Jun 17, 2005.

  1. meltedown

    meltedown Guest

    Why do javascript popups have the url in the title before the title in
    the title tags ?

    Like if you go to
    http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/books/audio/audiotest.asp?audiofile=file1

    the title says Individual Type Recording

    But on this page I have a link to a popup of the very same page:
    http:geotonics.com

    and the popup has the url in the title instead of just the title

    How do I get rid of the url ?
    meltedown, Jun 17, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. meltedown wrote:

    > the title says Individual Type Recording


    > But on this page I have a link to a popup of the very same page:
    > http:geotonics.com


    > and the popup has the url in the title instead of just the title


    The title is there, its just after the URL. My guess would be that this is
    an anti-pishing security feature of your browser. When I access that page
    in Firefox, it behaves as you describe. If I save a local copy and set
    location to 1 (so that the address bar is not hidden), then the URL is not
    displayed in the window title.

    Quite a clever idea I think.

    --
    David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jun 17, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. meltedown

    meltedown Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > meltedown wrote:
    >
    >
    >>the title says Individual Type Recording

    >
    >
    >>But on this page I have a link to a popup of the very same page:
    >>http:geotonics.com

    >
    >
    >>and the popup has the url in the title instead of just the title

    >
    >
    > The title is there, its just after the URL. My guess would be that this is
    > an anti-pishing security feature of your browser. When I access that page
    > in Firefox, it behaves as you describe. If I save a local copy and set
    > location to 1 (so that the address bar is not hidden), then the URL is not
    > displayed in the window title.
    >
    > Quite a clever idea I think.
    >

    This has the same set up with location=1
    http:geotonics.com/index2.php
    Not much better because the user still sees the url in the location bar.
    The idea is to let people use the popups on other sites and make it look
    like thier own, but I guess if the location were entirely hidden it
    would encourage popup abuse when the source of the popup didn't grant
    rights to the other sites.

    I noticed that the popup works on MY IE, and the popup finds the mp3
    stream OK, but it doesn't play. It seems to work on other peoples IE so
    I think the problem may have something to do with my own IE browser
    settings. Any clue what the problem might be ?
    meltedown, Jun 17, 2005
    #3
  4. meltedown wrote:

    >> The title is there, its just after the URL. My guess would be that this
    >> is an anti-pishing security feature of your browser.


    > This has the same set up with location=1
    > http:geotonics.com/index2.php


    You keep missing the (required) "//" from your URLs, please don't - it
    prevents my newsreader from turning it into a link.

    http://geotonics.com/index2.php

    > Not much better because the user still sees the url in the location bar.


    Shock! Horror! User's can see where they are.

    > The idea is to let people use the popups on other sites and make it look
    > like thier own


    Precisely what I imagine that feature is designed to prevent.


    --
    David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jun 17, 2005
    #4
  5. meltedown

    meltedown Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > meltedown wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>The title is there, its just after the URL. My guess would be that this
    >>>is an anti-pishing security feature of your browser.

    >
    >
    >>This has the same set up with location=1
    >>http:geotonics.com/index2.php

    >
    >
    > You keep missing the (required) "//" from your URLs, please don't - it
    > prevents my newsreader from turning it into a link.
    >
    > http://geotonics.com/index2.php
    >
    >

    OK sorry.
    >>Not much better because the user still sees the url in the location bar.

    >
    >
    > Shock! Horror! User's can see where they are.
    >
    >


    Ha ha !!1
    >>The idea is to let people use the popups on other sites and make it look
    >>like thier own

    >
    >
    > Precisely what I imagine that feature is designed to prevent.
    >
    >


    Oh Yeah, I agree, but in this case the popup is from a website that
    wants to make it available for other sites. I guess its not possible
    meltedown, Jun 18, 2005
    #5
  6. meltedown

    solitaire Guest

    meltedown wrote:
    > Why do javascript popups have the url in the title before the title in
    > the title tags ?


    Why are you even _doing_ popups?

    I gather you're not bright enough to notice that anyone with a brain is running
    a popup _blocker_?

    FOAD.
    solitaire, Jun 19, 2005
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andreas Klemt
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    446
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD
    Aug 10, 2003
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    513
  3. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    531
    David
    Apr 24, 2007
  4. soonic
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    1,768
    soonic
    Jul 27, 2011
  5. Jens Peter Hansen
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    514
    Randy Webb
    Jun 19, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page