Tk Compilation on Solaris 10 Failing

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by krishu, Dec 4, 2007.

  1. krishu

    krishu Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm trying to install Tk in a Solaris 10 box ( SunOS netra1 5.10
    Generic_125100-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-240 ). I downloaded
    Tk-804.027 Version and installed it usually.

    perl Makefile.PL

    but it is complaining the following error.

    checking whether the C compiler (cc -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -
    D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -xarch=v8 -D_TS_ERRNO -KPIC -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -
    D_FILE_OFFS
    ET_BITS=64 -xarch=v8 -D_TS_ERRNO ) works... no
    configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
    cannot create executables.

    I'm using gcc 3.4.3 and assures it is first in the PATH variable.
    Perl Version 5.8.4.

    tk-8.5a4-sol10-sparc-local is installed in this machine.

    I did googling, searching for half a day and ended up here.

    Any help would be appreciable.
    Thanks.
    --
    Regards
    S.Murali Krishnan.
    krishu, Dec 4, 2007

  2. krishu

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth krishu <>:

    > I'm trying to install Tk in a Solaris 10 box ( SunOS netra1 5.10
    > Generic_125100-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-240 ). I downloaded
    > Tk-804.027 Version and installed it usually.
    >
    > perl Makefile.PL
    >
    > but it is complaining the following error.
    >
    > checking whether the C compiler (cc -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -
    > D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -xarch=v8 -D_TS_ERRNO -KPIC -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -
    > D_FILE_OFFS
    > ET_BITS=64 -xarch=v8 -D_TS_ERRNO ) works... no
    > configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
    > cannot create executables.
    >
    > I'm using gcc 3.4.3 and assures it is first in the PATH variable.

    You're using a perl built with Sun's cc. You have to build modules with
    the same compiler as perl, so you'll either have to obtain and install
    Sun's cc, or rebuild perl with gcc.

    Note that you have to be a little careful replacing the system perl on
    Solaris: IIRC you can replace /usr/bin/perl, as all the system stuff
    that requires a specific version refers to it as /opt/perl5/something,
    but you should check this before you do anything.

    Ben
    Ben Morrow, Dec 4, 2007

  3. krishu

    krishu Guest

    Re: Tk Compilation on Solaris 10 Failing

    On Dec 4, 2:33 pm, Ben Morrow <> wrote:
    > Quoth krishu <>:
    >

    > > I'm trying to install Tk in a Solaris 10 box ( SunOS netra1 5.10
    > > Generic_125100-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-240 ). I downloaded
    > > Tk-804.027 Version and installed it usually.

    > > perl Makefile.PL

    > > but it is complaining the following error.

    > > checking whether the C compiler (cc -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -
    > > D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -xarch=v8 -D_TS_ERRNO -KPIC -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -
    > > D_FILE_OFFS
    > > ET_BITS=64 -xarch=v8 -D_TS_ERRNO ) works... no
    > > configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
    > > cannot create executables.

    > > I'm using gcc 3.4.3 and assures it is first in the PATH variable.

    > You're using a perl built with Sun's cc. You have to build modules with
    > the same compiler as perl, so you'll either have to obtain and install
    > Sun's cc, or rebuild perl with gcc.
    >
    > Note that you have to be a little careful replacing the system perl on
    > Solaris: IIRC you can replace /usr/bin/perl, as all the system stuff
    > that requires a specific version refers to it as /opt/perl5/something,
    > but you should check this before you do anything.
    >
    > Ben

    Ben,

    Awesome.. Information..
    It just straight forward fixed my issue.

    I installed perl compiled with gcc. (from sunfreeware.com ) and
    compiled Tk Module with it. It went through fine and I could
    run Tk Apps now. Thanks a lot Ben.
    --
    Regards
    S.Murali Krishnan.