Tk not working. Help! :-)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Adolfo, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. Adolfo

    Adolfo Guest

    Hi:

    First Issue.
    I came home to review the GUI making code I wa given at my first
    Python workshop to find out that the TK of my Python installation is
    stuck somewhere.

    If I type:

    from Tkinter import *

    I get the following message:

    ImportError: No module named Tkinter

    Second Issue:
    I have RedHat Linux 9.1 which came loaded with Python 2.2.2 and
    TK-tcl. I downloaded and un-tar Python 2.3.2 (because it claims to
    address various bugs) but the Python prompt still reads 2.2.2

    Any help will be much appreciated,

    Adolfo Aguirre
    UCSB-ISBER
    Santa Barbara, CA
    805-637-2860
    Adolfo, Oct 26, 2003

  2. Adolfo wrote:

    > First Issue.
    > I came home to review the GUI making code I wa given at my first
    > Python workshop to find out that the TK of my Python installation is
    > stuck somewhere.
    >
    > If I type:
    >
    > from Tkinter import *
    >
    > I get the following message:
    >
    > ImportError: No module named Tkinter

    This means that your current Python installation apparently doesn't have
    Tkinter support builtin. Try rebuilding it (which is what you're doing
    anyway) ...

    > Second Issue:
    > I have RedHat Linux 9.1 which came loaded with Python 2.2.2 and
    > TK-tcl. I downloaded and un-tar Python 2.3.2 (because it claims to
    > address various bugs) but the Python prompt still reads 2.2.2

    You'll need to install the new Python. This means more than just
    untarring it; you have to go through the ./configure && make && make
    install sequence to actually get it configured, built, and installed.

    If you're running Red Hat, you probably would rather install an rpm,
    since that way Red Hat can manage the dependencies. See the Red Hat
    HOWTOs for how to do this.

    / \ To endure what is unendurable is true endurance.
    \__/ (a Japanese proverb)
    Erik Max Francis, Oct 27, 2003