TK simulation for 2-line LCD panel

dwerdna

Hi all

I was after a TK simulation for a common 2-line LCD panel that you
might find on FPGA development boards or the like. I want to plug it
into a VHDL simulation. (I am not so much of a hack that I cant get my
LCD working, I just want a more comprehensive testbench)

Thanks

Andrew

Jonathan Bromley

I was after a TK simulation for a common 2-line LCD panel that you
might find on FPGA development boards or the like. I want to plug it
into a VHDL simulation. (I am not so much of a hack that I cant get my
LCD working, I just want a more comprehensive testbench)

Juan Carlos's link shows how you could make a display. The
trickier problem, though, is how to get the data out to your
Tk display. One useful possibility is to get the VHDL simulation to
write the data to a file - then the Tk program can poll the file
and read newly added text out of the end of it. Even better is
to use a pipe interface from VHDL to Tk, but it's tough to get
VHDL to open a pipe or a socket.

Our polar-plot demonstration
http://www.doulos.com/knowhow/tcltk/examples/constellation/
shows a nice way to connect a Tcl/Tk visualisation program to
the ModelSim simulator so that the display shows you the data
that's under the waveform window's cursor. But a 2-line LCD
has internal state information, so that might be more difficult.
And our script works only for ModelSim, although in principle
it could be adapted for any simulator with a Tk front-end.

Our favourite way to do this stuff is to use VHDL text output
to the standard output channel. You can then hook a Tk
program to this channel. Get your VHDL to write a special
prefix to any line of text that should go to the LCD. Then
the Tk script can use any line with this prefix to update
an LCD visualiser, and other text can be displayed on a Tk
text widget and/or echoed to a transcript file by Tk.
--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail:[email protected]

Hans

If you are using Modelsim have a look at Tcl sockets for communications and
signalspy, examine and force commands for communication with your DUT. Note
that TK is only supported on Modelsim SE, however, Activestate makes a great
free Tcl/TK interpreter,

Hans.
www.ht-lab.com

dwerdna

Hi all

Thanks for your comments and ideas, I will look into them. Yes I have
opened up files to write to from the simulator before, and that is what
I was originally envisaging would have to be done for this too.

Thanks again

Andrew