tkFileDialog question

Matt Mitchell

Hi,

This is my first attempt to write a script with any kind of gui. All I
need the script to do is ask the user for a directory and then do stuff
with the files in that directory. I used tkFileDialog.askdirectory().
It works great but it pops up an empty tk window. Is there any way to
prevent the empty tk window from popping up? Here's the code:

import tkFileDialog

answer = tkFileDialog.askdirectory()

if answer is not '':
#do stuff

Thanks!
Matt

Opps: And here i go making a clown of myself again...

import Tkinter as tk
from tkFileDialog import askdirectory
import os

root = tk.Tk()
root.withdraw()

folder = askdirectory()
#make sure to do this somewhere that will always execute!
root.destroy()
if folder:
print os.listdir(folder)

root.mainloop()

r... just another would be language designer

Matt,

There is also a nice thing you need to know about Python if you
already do not know. That is the fact that all empty collections bool
to False. This makes Truth testing easier.
bool([]) False
bool('') False
bool({}) False
bool([1]) True
bool([[]]) True
bool(' ')
True

any empty collection, string, or 0 always bools to False.

Matt Mitchell

-----------------------------------
The information contained in this electronic message and any attached document(s) is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients named above. This message may be confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify sender immediately by telephone (603) 262-6300 or by electronic mail immediately. Thank you.

There is also a nice thing you need to know about Python if you
already do not know. That is the fact that all empty collections bool
to False. This makes Truth testing easier.
bool([]) False
bool('') False
bool({}) False
bool([1]) True
bool([[]]) True
bool(' ')
True

any empty collection, string, or 0 always bools to False.

Thank you both for all the help. Your suggestions have helped clean up
a bunch of my code.

Thanks!
Matt