Tkinter callback caused abnormal program termination

John Pote

Running my programme in Python 2.3.4 I received the following msg in the
consol :-
(Pent III running W2K prof)

"""
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\apps\python\234\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1345, in __call__
return self.func(*args)
File "c:\apps\python\234\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 459, in callit
self.deletecommand(tmp[0])
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'deletecommand'
UpdateStringProc should not be invoked for type option

abnormal program termination
"""
There was no other traceback information.

Could this be related to lines of the ilk:-
self.infoSpd.config(text="%d.%01d"%spd)
where infoSpd is a Tkinter Label object placed using the grid manager.

Thousands of these updates were performed so the labels displayed progress
through a memory dump of a system accessed through a serial port.

I had trouble before with Python versions 2.2.1 and 2.2.3 where commenting
out these Label updates stopped the system crashing and it was happy to run
for hours performing tests on the external hardware. (an embedded data
logger I'm developing)

Anyone any thoughts?

John

Martin Franklin

[...]

Only one (thought that is) Are you updating thses Label widgets from other
threads? and could you possibly post an example?

Martin

John Pote

Martin Franklin said:
[...]

Ahhhh -- Experience had already taught me that lesson about tkinter. On
checking my code guess what I found I'd done - called the widget.config
method from the other thread. So I put in a list to queue the label updates
from the other thread to the tkinter thread and it's now been running for
several hours without problem.

Thanks for the reminder.

BTW the program structure I've been using is:-

def otherThread():
while TRUE:
if updatelabel:
labelQ = "new label text"

def guiLoop():
if labelQ:
myLabel.config(text=labelQ)
labelQ = None
#re-register this fn to run again
rootWin.after(10, guiLoop) #strangely .after_idle(guiLoop) is slower!
..
..
rootWin = Tk(className=" tester")

#rest of GUI set up. then:-

thread.start_new( otherThread, () )
rootWin.after(50, guiLoop)
rootWin.mainloop()

It works but is it the best way to do this sort of thing? The point is that
I need moderately fast serial comms, which I do in 'otherThread' and found
the 'after' and 'after_idle' call backs were too slow. The timing I did on
py2.2.1 indicated that 'after_idle' could not do better than ~70ms and
'after(10, ....)' was faster, 30-40 ms, but still too slow for my app.

Any more thoughts appreciated.

John