Tkinter: closing a popup menu by clicking elsewhere

Peter Otten

How can I close a popup menu in Tkinter by clicking elsewhere on the
toplevel window underneath?

I tried popup.grab_set() but this causes the popup to close immediately.

An alternative would be

def hidepopup(event=None):
popup.unpost()
return "break"

root.bind_all("<Button-1>", hidepopup)

but I'd then need a way to make sure that other bindings in children are not
processed or only processed after hidepopup.

Any hints welcome,
Peter