Tkinter FileDialog

Discussion in 'Python' started by Alex van der Spek, May 22, 2011.

  1. Trying to bring up a simple File or Directory chooser using Tkinter. Right
    now I use pywin32 as Mark Hammond's extensions are somewhat more familiar
    to an (ex)VB programmer who started way back with Fortran.

    On Windows Vista with Python 2.7. The examples from Mark Lutz' book
    "Programming Python" do not immediately apply. The book describes Python 3.x
    only.

    This is what I do (in IDLE):

    import tkFileDialog as tk
    file2open=tk.Open().show()

    This works. But it also brings up a persistent Tk window. Killing this
    window forces a restart in IDLE, which is not desirable. There does not
    appear to be a way to multiselect files?

    I am probably missing a whole lot. Please point me to a simple example of
    GUI file manipulations. I can save myself with os.path.walk and os.listdir
    but the users I try to serve cannot.

    Regards,
    Alex van der Spek

    Alex van der Spek, May 22, 2011