    reason to switch to one of the more popular GUI frameworks?

    Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave Benjamin, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Dave Benjamin wrote:
    > Is Tkinter pretty common for simple behind-the-scenes admin tools where
    > a GUI is required (for instance, data entry tools for non-programmers)
    > or has everybody moved on to wx/GTK/QT/etc.?

    Yes. It has the advantage that it is typically available when Python
    and X11 are both available.

    > For simple tools, is there any
    > reason to switch to one of the more popular GUI frameworks?

    No.

    Regards,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Nov 6, 2004

  3. "Martin v. Löwis" <> wrote:

    > Dave Benjamin wrote:
    > > Is Tkinter pretty common for simple behind-the-scenes admin tools where
    > > a GUI is required (for instance, data entry tools for non-programmers)
    > > or has everybody moved on to wx/GTK/QT/etc.?

    > Yes. It has the advantage that it is typically available when Python
    > and X11 are both available.

    ....and even when X11 is not available, such as Windows, or Mac (on the
    Aqua side of things -- many people don't even bother installing the X11
    implementation on their Mac...).

    > > For simple tools, is there any
    > > reason to switch to one of the more popular GUI frameworks?

    > No.

    I agree. That's why I chose to cover Tkinter in the Nutshell, even
    though I got some surprised comments from some wx fans _and_ from people
    I know I prefer Qt: Tkinter is widely available, adequate for simple
    tools which need no complicated functionality nor spiffy looks, _and_
    simple enough that I could cover its fundamentals in 30 pages, examples
    included.

    Alex
    Alex Martelli, Nov 6, 2004
  4. Alex Martelli wrote:
    > "Martin v. Löwis" <> wrote:
    >>Dave Benjamin wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is Tkinter pretty common for simple behind-the-scenes admin tools where
    >>>a GUI is required (for instance, data entry tools for non-programmers)
    >>>or has everybody moved on to wx/GTK/QT/etc.?

    >>Yes. It has the advantage that it is typically available when Python
    >>and X11 are both available.

    > ...and even when X11 is not available, such as Windows, or Mac (on the
    > Aqua side of things -- many people don't even bother installing the X11
    > implementation on their Mac...).

    Right. Windows would be main target, for now, but the ability to port to
    Mac and Linux is definitely a bonus.

    >>>For simple tools, is there any
    >>>reason to switch to one of the more popular GUI frameworks?

    >>No.

    > I agree. That's why I chose to cover Tkinter in the Nutshell, even
    > though I got some surprised comments from some wx fans _and_ from people
    > I know I prefer Qt: Tkinter is widely available, adequate for simple
    > tools which need no complicated functionality nor spiffy looks, _and_
    > simple enough that I could cover its fundamentals in 30 pages, examples
    > included.

    Thanks. This is what I wanted to hear. =)

    Dave
    Dave Benjamin, Nov 8, 2004
  5. Dave Benjamin

    Stephen Ferg Guest