Tkinter for system administration?

Dave Benjamin

Is Tkinter pretty common for simple behind-the-scenes admin tools where
a GUI is required (for instance, data entry tools for non-programmers)
or has everybody moved on to wx/GTK/QT/etc.?

I'm not particularly concerned with speed or appearance; the ability to
crank out simple GUIs quickly and without a lot of hassles or trips to
the reference manual is more important. I have no trouble using Tkinter
because I used to write a bit of Tcl/Tk back in the day, and I'm pretty
aware of its strengths and weaknesses. For simple tools, is there any
reason to switch to one of the more popular GUI frameworks?

Thanks,
Dave

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Dave said:
Is Tkinter pretty common for simple behind-the-scenes admin tools where
a GUI is required (for instance, data entry tools for non-programmers)
or has everybody moved on to wx/GTK/QT/etc.?

Yes. It has the advantage that it is typically available when Python
and X11 are both available.
For simple tools, is there any
reason to switch to one of the more popular GUI frameworks?

No.

Regards,
Martin

Alex Martelli

Martin v. Löwis said:
Yes. It has the advantage that it is typically available when Python
and X11 are both available.

....and even when X11 is not available, such as Windows, or Mac (on the
Aqua side of things -- many people don't even bother installing the X11
implementation on their Mac...).

I agree. That's why I chose to cover Tkinter in the Nutshell, even
though I got some surprised comments from some wx fans _and_ from people
I know I prefer Qt: Tkinter is widely available, adequate for simple
tools which need no complicated functionality nor spiffy looks, _and_
simple enough that I could cover its fundamentals in 30 pages, examples
included.

Alex

Dave Benjamin

Alex said:
...and even when X11 is not available, such as Windows, or Mac (on the
Aqua side of things -- many people don't even bother installing the X11
implementation on their Mac...).

Right. Windows would be main target, for now, but the ability to port to
Mac and Linux is definitely a bonus.
I agree. That's why I chose to cover Tkinter in the Nutshell, even
though I got some surprised comments from some wx fans _and_ from people
I know I prefer Qt: Tkinter is widely available, adequate for simple
tools which need no complicated functionality nor spiffy looks, _and_
simple enough that I could cover its fundamentals in 30 pages, examples
included.

Thanks. This is what I wanted to hear. =)

Dave