    thanx,
    AKR.

    , Sep 30, 2003

  2. > Have a problem in python installation.I have already installed
    > python 2.2 in my linux machine,but i guess tkinter packages were not
    > selected then.Now i want to use tkinter as an interface for my
    > program(actually i wanted to check if my python program written in
    > windows side works fine on linux side also).
    > is there any way i can include the tkinter packages?if so where
    > can i find those files?

    It depends of what linux distribution are you using (you should
    specify it). If you have a Debian box, simply type (as root):

    $ apt-get install python2.2-tk

    --
    Xavier Martinez

    Xavier Martinez, Sep 30, 2003

    hi,
    i am very sorry.i am using Redhat Linux 8.0.
    I 've downloaded few rpm files "tkinter-2.2.1-17.i386.rpm"
    will this be of any use?if so how do i extract the files from rpm(i
    know that it is used to compress some software files).
    do suggest a solution.
    thanx.
    Akr.

    "Xavier Martinez" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Have a problem in python installation.I have already installed
    > > python 2.2 in my linux machine,but i guess tkinter packages were not
    > > selected then.Now i want to use tkinter as an interface for my
    > > program(actually i wanted to check if my python program written in
    > > windows side works fine on linux side also).
    > > is there any way i can include the tkinter packages?if so where
    > > can i find those files?

    > It depends of what linux distribution are you using (you should
    > specify it). If you have a Debian box, simply type (as root):
    >
    > $ apt-get install python2.2-tk

    , Oct 1, 2003
  4. > hi,
    > i am very sorry.i am using Redhat Linux 8.0.
    > I 've downloaded few rpm files "tkinter-2.2.1-17.i386.rpm"
    > will this be of any use?if so how do i extract the files from rpm(i
    > know that it is used to compress some software files).

    I have not used Red Hat for a long time. However, a bit of googling gives:

    Using RPM (from the Red Hat manuals) (command-line tool):
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/s1-rpm-using.html

    In short, write (as root):

    $ rpm -Uvh tkinter-2.2.1-17.i386.rpm

    If it complains about 'Failed dependencies', you will need to install some
    other packages first.

    You can also use a graphical tool. See:
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/ch-graphical-rpm.html

    Another alternative is to use 'apt-rpm'. See:
    http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/

    Xavier Martinez, Oct 1, 2003