Tkinter not installed

anuradha.k.r

hi,
Have a problem in python installation.I have already installed
python 2.2 in my linux machine,but i guess tkinter packages were not
selected then.Now i want to use tkinter as an interface for my
program(actually i wanted to check if my python program written in
windows side works fine on linux side also).
is there any way i can include the tkinter packages?if so where
can i find those files?
pls help.
thanx,
AKR.

Xavier Martinez

Have a problem in python installation.I have already installed
python 2.2 in my linux machine,but i guess tkinter packages were not
selected then.Now i want to use tkinter as an interface for my
program(actually i wanted to check if my python program written in
windows side works fine on linux side also).
is there any way i can include the tkinter packages?if so where
can i find those files?

It depends of what linux distribution are you using (you should
specify it). If you have a Debian box, simply type (as root):

$ apt-get install python2.2-tk

anuradha.k.r

hi,
i am very sorry.i am using Redhat Linux 8.0.
I 've downloaded few rpm files "tkinter-2.2.1-17.i386.rpm"
will this be of any use?if so how do i extract the files from rpm(i
know that it is used to compress some software files).
do suggest a solution.
thanx.
Akr.

Xavier Martinez

hi,
i am very sorry.i am using Redhat Linux 8.0.
I 've downloaded few rpm files "tkinter-2.2.1-17.i386.rpm"
will this be of any use?if so how do i extract the files from rpm(i
know that it is used to compress some software files).

I have not used Red Hat for a long time. However, a bit of googling gives:

Using RPM (from the Red Hat manuals) (command-line tool):
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/s1-rpm-using.html

In short, write (as root):

$ rpm -Uvh tkinter-2.2.1-17.i386.rpm

If it complains about 'Failed dependencies', you will need to install some
other packages first.

You can also use a graphical tool. See:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/ch-graphical-rpm.html

Another alternative is to use 'apt-rpm'. See:
http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/