Tkinter problem

dale cooper

Hi everybody!
I've recently installed python2.4.2 on Fedora 4 (from downloaded
sources), but it appeared, that I can't use Tkinter module:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in ?
import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured
for Tk
ImportError: libBLT24.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

I tried the solution given in README file for RH9 (./configure
--enable-unicode=ucs4) despite they wrote the newer wersion didn't need
this hack. This is what I had after make instruction:

INFO: Can't locate Tcl/Tk libs and/or headers
*** WARNING: renaming "array" since importing it failed:
build/lib.linux-i686-2.4/array.so: undefined symbol:
PyUnicodeUCS2_FromUnicode
*** WARNING: renaming "_testcapi" since importing it failed:
build/lib.linux-i686-2.4/_testcapi.so: undefined symbol:
PyUnicodeUCS2_Decode
*** WARNING: renaming "unicodedata" since importing it failed:
build/lib.linux-i686-2.4/unicodedata.so: undefined symbol:
PyUnicodeUCS2_FromUnicode
*** WARNING: renaming "_locale" since importing it failed:
build/lib.linux-i686-2.4/_locale.so: undefined symbol:
PyUnicodeUCS2_AsWideChar
*** WARNING: renaming "cPickle" since importing it failed:
build/lib.linux-i686-2.4/cPickle.so: undefined symbol:
PyUnicodeUCS2_AsUTF8String
*** WARNING: renaming "pyexpat" since importing it failed:
build/lib.linux-i686-2.4/pyexpat.so: undefined symbol:
PyUnicodeUCS2_DecodeUTF8
*** WARNING: renaming "_multibytecodec" since importing it failed:
build/lib.linux-i686-2.4/_multibytecodec.so: undefined symbol:
PyUnicodeUCS2_FromUnicode
running build_scripts

It seems that --enable-unicode=ucs4 wasn't the right way. I tried
another hack: ./configure --enable-shared, but it still couldn't locate
Tcl/Tk libs and/or headers. Then I installed RPMs:

[root@localhost Python-2.4.2]# rpm -q tk
tk-8.4.9-3
[root@localhost Python-2.4.2]# rpm -q tcl
tcl-8.4.9-3
[root@localhost Python-2.4.2]# rpm -q tkinter
tkinter-2.4.1-2

and tried to do the hacks above, but it still could'nt find these libs.
What can I do?

Fredrik Lundh

dale cooper said:
I've recently installed python2.4.2 on Fedora 4 (from downloaded
sources), but it appeared, that I can't use Tkinter module:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in ?
import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured
for Tk
ImportError: libBLT24.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

this seems to indicate that the build process picked up the Tk BLT extension [1],
but that you haven't installed that extension properly.

</F>

1) http://sourceforge.net/projects/blt/

dale cooper

Thanks, but I've got another question:

can't find Tcl configuration script "tclConfig.sh"

This is what I received trying to install TkBLT. What is tclConfig.sh?
I did installed tcl/tk 8.4.9-3 as I mentioned before, I tried to find
this file, but I don't have it in my filesystem. How to get it?

jepler

Thanks, but I've got another question:

can't find Tcl configuration script "tclConfig.sh"

This file comes from the following package:
$ rpm -qf /usr/lib*/tclConfig.sh
tcl-devel-8.4.9-3

Fedora generally splits packages which are libraries into "foo" and "foo-devel"
(and maybe others).

Jeff

dale cooper

Thanks!
At this moment I can see the first python generated Tk window on my
screen. It's great ;-)))