TKinter, PyQT and wxPython (BOA)

Dennis Sylvester

Interested in any opinions, studies, etc., concerning the GUI tool(s) to use
for Python. Specifically, which would you recommend (and why) for building
GUI apps in Python:

TKinter
BOA
PyQT

Thanks,
Dennis

Keith Jones

Interested in any opinions, studies, etc., concerning the GUI tool(s) to
use for Python. Specifically, which would you recommend (and why) for
building GUI apps in Python:

TKinter
BOA
PyQT

Thanks,
Dennis

I've used Tkinter and PyQt. The nice thing about Tkinter is that it comes
with the standard python package. It's relatively simple, but I don't like
it for more significant GUI applications.. I had trouble finding good
documenation for it. Perhaps if you already know Tk, it's not so bad.

I've used PyQt on linux, and I love it, but beware, Trolltech only
provides noncommercial Qt 2.3 for windows, which means you might find it a
pain if you're writing for linux and want to port to windows. (But then,
it's probably not that big of a pain unless you use Qt3-specific stuff.) I
think the trolltech people have done a great job providing a first class
toolkit. I've found the PyQt programming book more handy than the Tkinter
programming book (I bought them both), and Trolltech's Qt docs are (for
the vast majority, but not always) applicable to PyQt. With PyQt you can
use qt-designer if you like that sort of thing; you'll need to get pyuic,
too. Personally, I've found the layout managers to be useful enough so
far.

You didn't mention PyGTK, which you can use with glade; just thought
I'd mention that.

Good luck,
Keith

Steve Lamb