    PyQT

    Thanks,
    Dennis

    Dennis Sylvester, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Dennis Sylvester

    Keith Jones Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 02:02:11 +0000, Dennis Sylvester wrote:

    > Interested in any opinions, studies, etc., concerning the GUI tool(s) to
    > use for Python. Specifically, which would you recommend (and why) for
    > building GUI apps in Python:
    >
    > TKinter
    > BOA
    > PyQT
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dennis

    I've used Tkinter and PyQt. The nice thing about Tkinter is that it comes
    with the standard python package. It's relatively simple, but I don't like
    it for more significant GUI applications.. I had trouble finding good
    documenation for it. Perhaps if you already know Tk, it's not so bad.

    I've used PyQt on linux, and I love it, but beware, Trolltech only
    provides noncommercial Qt 2.3 for windows, which means you might find it a
    pain if you're writing for linux and want to port to windows. (But then,
    it's probably not that big of a pain unless you use Qt3-specific stuff.) I
    think the trolltech people have done a great job providing a first class
    toolkit. I've found the PyQt programming book more handy than the Tkinter
    programming book (I bought them both), and Trolltech's Qt docs are (for
    the vast majority, but not always) applicable to PyQt. With PyQt you can
    use qt-designer if you like that sort of thing; you'll need to get pyuic,
    too. Personally, I've found the layout managers to be useful enough so
    far.

    You didn't mention PyGTK, which you can use with glade; just thought
    I'd mention that.

    Good luck,
    Keith

    Keith Jones, Aug 5, 2003

  3. Dennis Sylvester

    Steve Lamb Guest

    --
    Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
    PGP Key: 8B6E99C5 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.

    Steve Lamb, Aug 9, 2003