Tkinter Scrollbar not working

Dustan

I'm trying to get a scrollbar bound with a Frame, and I keep on getting
a scrollbar, but it doesn't actually scroll. Some help, please?

Dustan

BTW, experience tells me it is necessary for me to explicitly state
that I'm a newbie (otherwise I get rude people saying I should already
know such-and-such).

Martin Franklin

Dustan said:
I'm trying to get a scrollbar bound with a Frame, and I keep on getting
a scrollbar, but it doesn't actually scroll. Some help, please?

It can be tricky getting an empty frame to scroll, can you post your
example code so that we might be more helpful. Here is an example of
binding a scroll bar to a Text widget (not exactly the same thing)

## import all names from Tkinter
## bit naughty but I don't mind
from Tkinter import *

# root window
root=Tk()

# text area
text=Text()
text.pack(side="left", expand="yes", fill="both")

# scrolbar for above textarea
sb = Scrollbar(root)
sb.pack(side="right", fill="y")

## bind them both together...

# this line binds the yscrollcommand
# of the text area to the scrollbar set method
text['yscrollcommand'] = sb.set

# this line binds the scrollbars command to
# the yview method of the text area
sb['command'] = text.yview

# mainloop entry
root.mainloop()

Dustan

Martin said:
It can be tricky getting an empty frame to scroll, can you post your
example code so that we might be more helpful. Here is an example of
binding a scroll bar to a Text widget (not exactly the same thing)

It's not an empty frame. It has a label. I was trying to do it with
just the label, but it didn't work, and I figured it might be a better
idea to try doing it with a frame instead.
## import all names from Tkinter
## bit naughty but I don't mind
from Tkinter import *

# root window
root=Tk()

# text area
text=Text()
text.pack(side="left", expand="yes", fill="both")

# scrolbar for above textarea
sb = Scrollbar(root)
sb.pack(side="right", fill="y")

## bind them both together...

# this line binds the yscrollcommand
# of the text area to the scrollbar set method
text['yscrollcommand'] = sb.set

# this line binds the scrollbars command to
# the yview method of the text area
sb['command'] = text.yview

# mainloop entry
root.mainloop()

That doesn't help. I need to be able to do it either with a frame (has
content!) or a Text widget.

Martin Franklin

Dustan said:
Martin said:
[...]

Perhaps I am not understanding something... can you please show me an
example of what is not working. I consider the above a good recipe that
can be applied to any scrollable widget in Tkinter.

hmm, a single change to my example (Text to Frame) produces this
traceback:-

>C:/python24/python -u "quicksb.py"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "quicksb.py", line 17, in ?
text['yscrollcommand'] = sb.set
File "C:\python24\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1146, in __setitem__
self.configure({key: value})
File "C:\python24\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1139, in configure
return self._configure('configure', cnf, kw)
File "C:\python24\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1130, in _configure
self.tk.call(_flatten((self._w, cmd)) + self._options(cnf))
_tkinter.TclError: unknown option "-yscrollcommand"
>Exit code: 1

and another change (Frame to Label) produces this traceback:-

>C:/python24/python -u "quicksb.py"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "quicksb.py", line 17, in ?
text['yscrollcommand'] = sb.set
File "C:\python24\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1146, in __setitem__
self.configure({key: value})
File "C:\python24\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1139, in configure
return self._configure('configure', cnf, kw)
File "C:\python24\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1130, in _configure
self.tk.call(_flatten((self._w, cmd)) + self._options(cnf))
_tkinter.TclError: unknown option "-yscrollcommand"
>Exit code: 1

This would suggest that the Frame and Label widgets are not scrollable
(at least not in the 'y' direction)

Cheers
Martin

Cameron Laird

BTW, experience tells me it is necessary for me to explicitly state
that I'm a newbie (otherwise I get rude people saying I should already
know such-and-such).

That experience generalize poorly to comp.lang.python.

jmdeschamps

Dustan a écrit :
I'm trying to get a scrollbar bound with a Frame, and I keep on getting
a scrollbar, but it doesn't actually scroll. Some help, please?

Frames are NOT scrollable objects for scrollbars in Tkinter: Listbox,
Canvas and Text widget are.

I f you want/need to scroll something else, I think you are going to
have to do it yourself, meaning you can use the scrollbars to get user
input by binding an event to it, and then moving things around your
Frame to give the scrolling appearance.

OR you can take a look at a third-party such as PythonMegaWidgets (PMW)
who have them I believe...

Happy New Year anyhow...

Jean-Marc

Dustan

Yes, I know PMW has scrolled Text, but the module has to be installed
seperately; this is something I'm releasing to a number of people.

I'll try doing it with a canvas.