    --
    W. eWatson

    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

    W. eWatson, Jan 29, 2009

  2. W. eWatson

    r Guest

    On Jan 28, 10:12 pm, "W. eWatson" <> wrote:
    > Where in the world is a description of pack() for Tkinter widgets? Is it
    > some sort of general method for all widgets? I'm looking in a few docs that
    > use it without ever saying where it is described. For one,
    > <http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/label.htm>. In the NM Tech pdf on Tkinter,
    > it's not found anywhere. I see Universal methods for widgets, but no mention
    > of pack(). package, packed, but no pack.

    did you try here :)
    http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/pack.htm

    r, Jan 29, 2009

  3. W. eWatson

    r Guest

    r, Jan 29, 2009
  4. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    r wrote:
    > On Jan 28, 10:12 pm, "W. eWatson" <> wrote:
    >> Where in the world is a description of pack() for Tkinter widgets? Is it
    >> some sort of general method for all widgets? I'm looking in a few docs that
    >> use it without ever saying where it is described. For one,
    >> <http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/label.htm>. In the NM Tech pdf on Tkinter,
    >> it's not found anywhere. I see Universal methods for widgets, but no mention
    >> of pack(). package, packed, but no pack.

    > did you try here :)
    > http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/pack.htm

    Thanks. I have the site bookmarked, but it's hard to search. I posted a
    comment to them that they should have it in pdf form.

    W. eWatson, Jan 29, 2009
  5. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    r wrote:
    > To expand on this there exists three geometry mangers [grid, pack,
    > place]. I personally use pack() the most, grid() almost never, and
    > place -- well never. But each one has it's strengths and weaknesses.
    >
    > w.grid()
    > http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/grid.htm
    >
    > w.place()
    > http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/place.htm

    There seems to be a pattern here. :)
    > Everything you need to know about Tkinter exists here:
    > http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/
    >
    > and at the NMT site i showed you before

    The word pack doesn't exist on the NMT pdf. Maybe there's a newer one?

    W. eWatson, Jan 29, 2009
  6. En Thu, 29 Jan 2009 02:57:04 -0200, W. eWatson <>
    escribió:

    > The word pack doesn't exist on the NMT pdf. Maybe there's a newer one?

    There is a PDF version of "An Introduction to Tkinter" here:
    http://www.pythonware.com/library/

    --
    Gabriel Genellina

    Gabriel Genellina, Jan 29, 2009
  7. W. eWatson

    r Guest

    On Jan 28, 10:57 pm, "W. eWatson" <> wrote:
    > The word pack doesn't exist on the NMT pdf. Maybe there's a newer one?

    Only the grid manager is discussed at NMT. I just like how at NMT the
    widget attributes are in a table and then a list the widget methods
    follows below that -- much better navigation.

    I talked again to John at NMT and he assured me very soon he's going
    to make all the updates. It would probably help if you sent him a nice
    message of encouragement like -- 'Can you please update the
    documentation, i really like the sites layout?' -- but please don't
    forget to thank him for all his contributions to the Python community.

    I am currently crusading to have all the old Python tuts and
    documentation updated(among other crusades). This was my second win
    and i hope that more will follow. The python docs out there need a
    dusting off and spit shining.

    r, Jan 29, 2009
  8. W. eWatson

    Steve Holden Guest

    W. eWatson wrote:
    > r wrote:
    >> On Jan 28, 10:12 pm, "W. eWatson" <> wrote:
    >>> Where in the world is a description of pack() for Tkinter widgets? Is it
    >>> some sort of general method for all widgets? I'm looking in a few
    >>> docs that
    >>> use it without ever saying where it is described. For one,
    >>> <http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/label.htm>. In the NM Tech pdf on
    >>> Tkinter,
    >>> it's not found anywhere. I see Universal methods for widgets, but no
    >>> mention
    >>> of pack(). package, packed, but no pack.

    >> did you try here :)
    >> http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/pack.htm

    > Thanks. I have the site bookmarked, but it's hard to search. I posted a
    > comment to them that they should have it in pdf form.

    http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=site:effbot.org/tkinterbook pack

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Jan 29, 2009
  9. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    Gabriel Genellina wrote:
    > En Thu, 29 Jan 2009 02:57:04 -0200, W. eWatson <>
    > escribió:
    >
    >> The word pack doesn't exist on the NMT pdf. Maybe there's a newer one?

    > There is a PDF version of "An Introduction to Tkinter" here:
    > http://www.pythonware.com/library/

    Thanks. I have it but it's an odd one to search on "pack(". There may be
    over 100 reference to pack(. It's probably explained there somewhere, but
    how many times do I want to press the search key? I have it printed out too.
    I guess I need to eyeball it. It's probably faster. Maybe find the section
    (geometry?) where it and others like it are found. There is an index, but
    it's a pitiful one page.

    Found in Chapter 34.

    W. eWatson, Jan 29, 2009
  10. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    r wrote:
    > On Jan 28, 10:57 pm, "W. eWatson" <> wrote:
    >> The word pack doesn't exist on the NMT pdf. Maybe there's a newer one?

    > Only the grid manager is discussed at NMT. I just like how at NMT the
    > widget attributes are in a table and then a list the widget methods
    > follows below that -- much better navigation.
    >
    > I talked again to John at NMT and he assured me very soon he's going
    > to make all the updates. It would probably help if you sent him a nice
    > message of encouragement like -- 'Can you please update the
    > documentation, i really like the sites layout?' -- but please don't
    > forget to thank him for all his contributions to the Python community.
    >
    > I am currently crusading to have all the old Python tuts and
    > documentation updated(among other crusades). This was my second win
    > and i hope that more will follow. The python docs out there need a
    > dusting off and spit shining.

    I fully agree with your assessment of their state.

    I might not want him to update the NMT. :) Why would that be. I just had it
    printed. Another $8! I'm kidding, of course.

    Not only is it a good layout, I think it's the best layout out there, IMHO.
    I'll contact him. I think one of his other pdf files needs updating too.
    Possibly the one for PIL.

    W. eWatson, Jan 29, 2009
  11. En Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:55:13 -0200, W. eWatson <>
    escribió:
    > Gabriel Genellina wrote:
    >> En Thu, 29 Jan 2009 02:57:04 -0200, W. eWatson
    >> <> escribió:
    >>
    >>> The word pack doesn't exist on the NMT pdf. Maybe there's a newer one?

    >> There is a PDF version of "An Introduction to Tkinter" here:
    >> http://www.pythonware.com/library/
    >>

    > Thanks. I have it but it's an odd one to search on "pack(". There may be
    > over 100 reference to pack(. It's probably explained there somewhere,
    > but how many times do I want to press the search key? I have it printed
    > out too. I guess I need to eyeball it. It's probably faster. Maybe find
    > the section (geometry?) where it and others like it are found. There is
    > an index, but it's a pitiful one page.

    Uh? The very first occurence of "pack" is in the Table of Contents, "The
    pack geometry manager". (You may want to improve your search skills :) )

    --
    Gabriel Genellina

    Gabriel Genellina, Jan 29, 2009
  12. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    Steve Holden wrote:
    > W. eWatson wrote:
    >> r wrote:
    >>> did you try here :)
    >>> http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/pack.htm

    >> Thanks. I have the site bookmarked, but it's hard to search. I posted a
    >> comment to them that they should have it in pdf form.
    >>

    > http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=site:effbot.org/tkinterbook pack
    >
    > regards
    > Steve

    Well, that's an interesting "link". Another side of Google facilities? Maybe
    you're using Snagit or its brethern? However, I'm interested in searching a
    pdf, which, of course, doesn't yet exist.

    W. eWatson, Jan 31, 2009
  13. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    Gabriel Genellina wrote:
    > En Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:55:13 -0200, W. eWatson <>
    > escribió:
    >> Gabriel Genellina wrote:

    >>> There is a PDF version of "An Introduction to Tkinter" here:
    >>> http://www.pythonware.com/library/
    >>>

    >> Thanks. I have it but it's an odd one to search on "pack(". There may
    >> be over 100 reference to pack(. It's probably explained there
    >> somewhere, but how many times do I want to press the search key? I
    >> have it printed out too. I guess I need to eyeball it. It's probably
    >> faster. Maybe find the section (geometry?) where it and others like it
    >> are found. There is an index, but it's a pitiful one page.

    > Uh? The very first occurence of "pack" is in the Table of Contents, "The
    > pack geometry manager". (You may want to improve your search skills :) )

    Yes, that's correct, but I was looking for "pack(". It all depends on one's
    perspective on how to search. I'll not labor the point.

    W. eWatson, Jan 31, 2009
  14. W. eWatson

    Steve Holden Guest

    W. eWatson wrote:
    > Steve Holden wrote:
    >> W. eWatson wrote:
    >>> Thanks. I have the site bookmarked, but it's hard to search. I posted a
    >>> comment to them that they should have it in pdf form.
    >>>

    >> http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=site:effbot.org/tkinterbook pack
    >>
    >> regards
    >> Steve

    > Well, that's an interesting "link". Another side of Google facilities?
    > Maybe you're using Snagit or its brethern? However, I'm interested in
    > searching a pdf, which, of course, doesn't yet exist.

    OK, someone asked if you'd seen the HTML pages. You replied that you had
    them bookmarked but they were difficult to search. So I simply
    demonstrated that a search of the site for "pack" gave the right page as
    its first result.

    Maybe you *do* want a PDF, but it will be less searchable than the
    existing HTML, so I am somewhat confused about why.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Jan 31, 2009
  15. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    Steve Holden wrote:
    > W. eWatson wrote:
    >> Steve Holden wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=site:effbot.org/tkinterbook pack
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>> Steve

    >> Well, that's an interesting "link". Another side of Google facilities?
    >> Maybe you're using Snagit or its brethern? However, I'm interested in
    >> searching a pdf, which, of course, doesn't yet exist.
    >>

    > OK, someone asked if you'd seen the HTML pages. You replied that you had
    > them bookmarked but they were difficult to search. So I simply
    > demonstrated that a search of the site for "pack" gave the right page as
    > its first result.
    >
    > Maybe you *do* want a PDF, but it will be less searchable than the
    > existing HTML, so I am somewhat confused about why.
    >
    > regards
    > Steve

    So what are you telling me? I should use Google to search the web site? If
    so, I guess I missed the method you used. Apparently, it hinges on the key
    "site:" The use of your video tool camouflaged your intent, IMHO.

    W. eWatson, Feb 1, 2009
  16. W. eWatson

    Steve Holden Guest

    W. eWatson wrote:
    > Steve Holden wrote:
    >> W. eWatson wrote:

    >>> Well, that's an interesting "link". Another side of Google facilities?
    >>> Maybe you're using Snagit or its brethern? However, I'm interested in
    >>> searching a pdf, which, of course, doesn't yet exist.
    >>>

    >> OK, someone asked if you'd seen the HTML pages. You replied that you had
    >> them bookmarked but they were difficult to search. So I simply
    >> demonstrated that a search of the site for "pack" gave the right page as
    >> its first result.
    >>
    >> Maybe you *do* want a PDF, but it will be less searchable than the
    >> existing HTML, so I am somewhat confused about why.
    >>
    >> regards
    >> Steve

    > So what are you telling me? I should use Google to search the web site?
    > If so, I guess I missed the method you used. Apparently, it hinges on
    > the key "site:" The use of your video tool camouflaged your intent, IMHO.

    The use of "letmegooglethatforyou" (not my video tool, by the way) is to
    point out that with the right search string you could have answered the
    question for yourself.

    Since you didn't appear to know that Google allowed you to search a
    single site (something I perhaps take for granted) I am glad that point
    wasn't lost. Yes, you can just search the PIL documentation. Isn't the
    Internet great? ;-)

    regards
    Steve

    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Feb 1, 2009
  17. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    > The use of "letmegooglethatforyou" (not my video tool, by the way) is to
    > point out that with the right search string you could have answered the
    > question for yourself.
    >
    > Since you didn't appear to know that Google allowed you to search a
    > single site (something I perhaps take for granted) I am glad that point
    > wasn't lost. Yes, you can just search the PIL documentation. Isn't the
    > Internet great? ;-)
    >
    > regards
    > Steve

    Yes, I agree on the internet, and I now see "letme...com. So, I've now tried
    in my browser's link window:
    site:effbot.org/tkinterbook tkfiledialog, and get "site is not a registered
    protocol."

    If I put the "site:..." in the Google window,it works fine. In fact it's
    quite clever.

    I thought some months ago, I found Google commands that would operate in the
    browser link window. Guess not.

    BTW, isn't there an O'Reilly book on Google hacks of this sort? Where else
    does one find out about these Google tools?

    W. eWatson, Feb 6, 2009
  18. W. eWatson

    MRAB Guest

    W. eWatson wrote:

    >> The use of "letmegooglethatforyou" (not my video tool, by the way) is to
    >> point out that with the right search string you could have answered the
    >> question for yourself.
    >>
    >> Since you didn't appear to know that Google allowed you to search a
    >> single site (something I perhaps take for granted) I am glad that point
    >> wasn't lost. Yes, you can just search the PIL documentation. Isn't the
    >> Internet great? ;-)
    >>
    >> regards
    >> Steve
    >>

    > Yes, I agree on the internet, and I now see "letme...com. So, I've now
    > tried in my browser's link window:
    > site:effbot.org/tkinterbook tkfiledialog, and get "site is not a
    > registered protocol."
    >
    > If I put the "site:..." in the Google window,it works fine. In fact it's
    > quite clever.
    >
    > I thought some months ago, I found Google commands that would operate in
    > the browser link window. Guess not.
    >
    > BTW, isn't there an O'Reilly book on Google hacks of this sort? Where
    > else does one find out about these Google tools?

    Google? :)

    http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=136861

    MRAB, Feb 6, 2009
  19. W. eWatson

    Steve Holden Guest

    W. eWatson wrote:

    >> The use of "letmegooglethatforyou" (not my video tool, by the way) is to
    >> point out that with the right search string you could have answered the
    >> question for yourself.
    >>
    >> Since you didn't appear to know that Google allowed you to search a
    >> single site (something I perhaps take for granted) I am glad that point
    >> wasn't lost. Yes, you can just search the PIL documentation. Isn't the
    >> Internet great? ;-)
    >>
    >> regards
    >> Steve
    >>

    > Yes, I agree on the internet, and I now see "letme...com. So, I've now
    > tried in my browser's link window:
    > site:effbot.org/tkinterbook tkfiledialog, and get "site is not a
    > registered protocol."
    >
    > If I put the "site:..." in the Google window,it works fine. In fact it's
    > quite clever.
    >
    > I thought some months ago, I found Google commands that would operate in
    > the browser link window. Guess not.
    >
    > BTW, isn't there an O'Reilly book on Google hacks of this sort? Where
    > else does one find out about these Google tools?

    I seem to pick them up as I go along. This group is actually a great
    source of google-fu enhancements - I believe this is where I found out
    about "letmegooglethatforyou".

    Of course you can do any Google search and then look at what Google puts
    in your Location: bar. Saving that URL means you can repeat the same
    search later, but you can also analyze it to find out about some useful
    tricks (and "letme..." uses the same everything except for the domain
    name). So your site search would also work with

    http://www.google.com/search?q=site:effbot.org tkinterbook+pack

    Of course it would be relatively easy to write a Python program that
    used the browser module to do this kind of search ...

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Feb 6, 2009
  20. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    MRAB wrote:
    > W. eWatson wrote:

    >> I thought some months ago, I found Google commands that would operate
    >> in the browser link window. Guess not.
    >>
    >> BTW, isn't there an O'Reilly book on Google hacks of this sort? Where
    >> else does one find out about these Google tools?
    >>

    > Google? :)
    >
    > http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=136861

    Thanks. I may have that book marked from many, many months ago. If so, I see
    why I'd never find it. The BM entry does not show "Google". It does now. ;-)

    W. eWatson, Feb 7, 2009