tld not found from jsp in subdirectory

Steve

I have a set of custom tag classes with a tld that works fine if the jsp
is in the root directory of my site. If the jsp is in a subdirectory, I
get an exception message that 'the File "/mytags" not found'.

Here is the top of the tld:

<taglib version="2.0" xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
web-jsptaglibrary_2_0.xsd">
<tlib-version>1.0</tlib-version>
<short-name>mytags</short-name>
<uri>/mytags</uri>

Referenced from my jsp as follows:

<%@ taglib prefix="scutils" uri="/mytags" %>

Note that I have no taglib tag in web.xml -- I'm relying on the tld
which is in the jar file with the classes,

The compiled classes are in a jar file in tomcat's common/lib directory.

When I put the jsp in the root directory, everything works fine, but in
a subdirectory, I get the message that the tld file can't be found.

I hve an "AJP Connector" set up, and tried adding /*.tld to that, to no
avail (note that /*.jsp is there as well).