TMC Petshop, java performance tuning, struts

Discussion in 'Java' started by tom, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. tom

    tom Guest

    I have recently read the results paper from the
    second benchmark test run by The Middleware
    Company (TMC) comparing the performance of the
    Petshop application using Java solution
    and .NET solutions.

    (http://www.middleware-company.com/casestudy/tmc-performance-study-jul-2003.pdf)
    This paper would be very useful I believe
    to anyone who is interested in fine tuning the
    performance of their application and server.

    Though I have seen much discussion in this newsgroup
    concerning the first benchmark test, I have seen very
    little concerning the second benchmark test.

    IMO the results paper seems to suggest that Java
    solutions can be just as fast as .NET solutions
    but that some Java solutions can be much much worse.
    In particular, a java solution using struts is
    unlikely to perform as well as a solution that does
    not use some form of introspection (as struts does to
    populate beans from forms). I have several questions
    regarding these conclusions.

    1. Are they accurate based on the evidence presented
    in the study

    2. Does anyone know the identities of the two java
    servers used in the study

    3. In using struts does the productivity gains outway
    the performance cost and can this performance cost
    be adequately mitigated by upgrading hardware.

    4. Have any similar tests been run in which the Java
    servers are run on Unix platforms instead of
    Windows Server 2003.

    5. Has anyone performing tests on their own struts
    apps found similar results concerning the high
    costs of the introspection process.
    tom, Sep 5, 2003