TN3270E library for Ruby?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Wilson Bilkovich, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Has anyone done anything with the 3270 protocol in Ruby?
    I write a lot of code that needs connectivity to IBM mainframe hosts
    via TN3270E. At the moment, I do that by 'wiring up' a terminal
    emulator and telling it to do things for me.
    However, this means that I only get one instance per terminal session,
    and because these things are graphical, I can't run it headless inside
    a cron job, etc, etc.

    I now need something more industrial-strength that I can run many
    concurrent copies of, etc, etc. I'd like to build a Ruby framework
    for the kinds of things I do with 3270, and slap it on top of a
    library.

    For fellow mainframe geeks, imagine (totally contrived example,
    probably not what it would look like):
    host.screen do |s|
    s.put :text =3D> "Hello World" :field =3D> 'fieldname'
    s.transmit if scr.ready?
    end

    Unfortunately, I can't find anything that implements 3270 other than
    terminal emulators and other application-level stuff. It would be
    nice if there were some C library that could be wrapped as a Ruby
    extension.

    Has anyone done anything like this, and just kept it around for
    personal use? I'd like to avoid reinventing the wheel, but if I'm the
    only one with this need, I'll go ahead and start working on a library.

    Thanks,
    --Wilson.

    Wilson Bilkovich, Nov 23, 2005

  2. ------=_Part_22172_11017490.1132840059385

    Wilson,

    I'm currently writing a book on enterprise ruby on rails for addison-wesley
    and your message definitely caught my eye because it's one of the topics I
    want to cover. I don't know of any software like you describe, but if you
    would like to discuss possible collaboration please let me know and we migh=
    be able to figure something out.

    Obie

    Obie Fernandez, Nov 24, 2005

  3. Cool. I'm going to head out for some serious pumpkin pie consumption
    in a few minutes, but I'll get in touch, possibly also on IRC. I
    still hold out hope for some existing work in this area; there's a
    rumor that someone I failed to meet at RubyConf does this sort of
    thing at NASA, but I don't have any details.

    Thanks,
    --Wilson.

    On 11/24/05, Obie Fernandez <> wrote:
    > Wilson,
    >
    > I'm currently writing a book on enterprise ruby on rails for addison-wesl=

    ey
    > and your message definitely caught my eye because it's one of the topics =

    > want to cover. I don't know of any software like you describe, but if you
    > would like to discuss possible collaboration please let me know and we mi=

    ght

    Wilson Bilkovich, Nov 24, 2005