to access a page in that directory, you have to give a username and a password

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Charlotte, Oct 3, 2007.

  1. Charlotte

    Charlotte Guest

    Hello,

    info: I'me a rookie with IIS

    I have on a WinXP Pro the IIS installed, so I can test some pages before
    uploading to the hostserver online

    on the hostserver is a possibility (with the program PLESK) to make a
    directory secure
    (to access a page in that directory, you have to give a username and a
    password)

    in my own server (IIS) is a directory where I want to do the same thing
    how can I do that with the "Internet Information Services Manager"
    (IIS-manager)
    (to access a page in that directory, you have to give a username and a
    password)

    C.

    Charlotte, Oct 3, 2007

  2. "Charlotte" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > info: I'me a rookie with IIS
    >
    > I have on a WinXP Pro the IIS installed, so I can test some pages before
    > uploading to the hostserver online
    >
    > on the hostserver is a possibility (with the program PLESK) to make a
    > directory secure
    > (to access a page in that directory, you have to give a username and a
    > password)
    >
    > in my own server (IIS) is a directory where I want to do the same thing
    > how can I do that with the "Internet Information Services Manager"
    > (IIS-manager)
    > (to access a page in that directory, you have to give a username and a
    > password)

    In IIS manager open the properties dialog on the directory you wish to
    protect.
    Select the Directory Security tab and click edit button in the Anonymous
    access and authentication control section.

    Turn off Anonymous access
    Turn on Integrated Windows Authentication

    Ok out the dialogs.

    Now in Windows explorer modify the Access Control list of the folder to so
    that only the users and groups you want can have access.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Oct 3, 2007

  3. Charlotte

    Charlotte Guest

    =========================

    > In IIS manager open the properties dialog on the directory you wish to
    > protect.
    > Select the Directory Security tab and click edit button in the Anonymous
    > access and authentication control section.
    >
    > Turn off Anonymous access
    > Turn on Integrated Windows Authentication
    >
    > Ok out the dialogs.
    >
    > Now in Windows explorer modify the Access Control list of the folder to so
    > that only the users and groups you want can have access.

    ==========================

    I've turned off Anonymous access - OK
    I've turned on Integrated Windows Authentication - OK

    but now i'm stuck

    how can i make a random username (with password) for that directory
    (the username is not a windows-username)

    can you get me started

    Charlotte, Oct 3, 2007
  4. "Charlotte" <> wrote in message

    > "Anthony Jones" <> schreef in bericht
    > > "Charlotte" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> info: I'me a rookie with IIS
    > >>
    > >> I have on a WinXP Pro the IIS installed, so I can test some pages

    before
    > >> uploading to the hostserver online
    > >>
    > >> on the hostserver is a possibility (with the program PLESK) to make a
    > >> directory secure
    > >> (to access a page in that directory, you have to give a username and a
    > >> password)
    > >>
    > >> in my own server (IIS) is a directory where I want to do the same thing
    > >> how can I do that with the "Internet Information Services Manager"
    > >> (IIS-manager)
    > >> (to access a page in that directory, you have to give a username and a
    > >> password)

    > =========================
    >
    > > In IIS manager open the properties dialog on the directory you wish to
    > > protect.
    > > Select the Directory Security tab and click edit button in the

    Anonymous
    > > access and authentication control section.
    > >
    > > Turn off Anonymous access
    > > Turn on Integrated Windows Authentication
    > >
    > > Ok out the dialogs.
    > >
    > > Now in Windows explorer modify the Access Control list of the folder to

    so
    > > that only the users and groups you want can have access.

    > ==========================
    >
    > I've turned off Anonymous access - OK
    > I've turned on Integrated Windows Authentication - OK
    >
    > but now i'm stuck
    >
    > how can i make a random username (with password) for that directory
    > (the username is not a windows-username)
    >
    > can you get me started

    Open computer management
    Go to local users and groups

    Create a new user:
    Specify name
    Enter password (twice)
    clear must change password
    Set user cannot change password
    Set password never expires
    Click create
    Open user and go to member of tab
    Remove Users group add Guests group

    On folder properties security tab. Open advanced dialog. Clear inherit from
    check box.
    Select clear option from popup (not to copy inherited ACL). OK the dialog
    Add an admin user and give full access
    Add the new user and give read access
    You may need to go to the advanced dialog and select replace permission on
    children

    Note when testing if you are using IE and it recognises the local site as
    belonging to the intranet zone it will silent attempt to use your login
    details. Since you are likely to be an admin of your machine it will appear
    that the folder isn't protected.

    A good test would be from another machine logged on as someone else using a
    FQDN for the machine.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Oct 3, 2007