to access a page in that directory, you have to give a username and a password

Charlotte

Hello,

info: I'me a rookie with IIS

I have on a WinXP Pro the IIS installed, so I can test some pages before
uploading to the hostserver online

on the hostserver is a possibility (with the program PLESK) to make a
directory secure
(to access a page in that directory, you have to give a username and a
password)

in my own server (IIS) is a directory where I want to do the same thing
how can I do that with the "Internet Information Services Manager"
(IIS-manager)
(to access a page in that directory, you have to give a username and a
password)

C.

Anthony Jones

Charlotte said:
Hello,

info: I'me a rookie with IIS

I have on a WinXP Pro the IIS installed, so I can test some pages before
uploading to the hostserver online

on the hostserver is a possibility (with the program PLESK) to make a
directory secure
(to access a page in that directory, you have to give a username and a
password)

in my own server (IIS) is a directory where I want to do the same thing
how can I do that with the "Internet Information Services Manager"
(IIS-manager)
(to access a page in that directory, you have to give a username and a
password)

In IIS manager open the properties dialog on the directory you wish to
protect.
Select the Directory Security tab and click edit button in the Anonymous
access and authentication control section.

Turn off Anonymous access
Turn on Integrated Windows Authentication

Ok out the dialogs.

Now in Windows explorer modify the Access Control list of the folder to so
that only the users and groups you want can have access.

Charlotte

Anthony Jones said:
=========================

In IIS manager open the properties dialog on the directory you wish to
protect.
Select the Directory Security tab and click edit button in the Anonymous
access and authentication control section.

Turn off Anonymous access
Turn on Integrated Windows Authentication

Ok out the dialogs.

Now in Windows explorer modify the Access Control list of the folder to so
that only the users and groups you want can have access.

==========================

I've turned off Anonymous access - OK
I've turned on Integrated Windows Authentication - OK

but now i'm stuck

how can i make a random username (with password) for that directory
(the username is not a windows-username)

can you get me started

Anthony Jones

Charlotte said:
==========================

I've turned off Anonymous access - OK
I've turned on Integrated Windows Authentication - OK

but now i'm stuck

how can i make a random username (with password) for that directory
(the username is not a windows-username)

can you get me started

Open computer management
Go to local users and groups

Create a new user:
Specify name
Enter password (twice)
clear must change password
Set user cannot change password
Set password never expires
Click create
Open user and go to member of tab
Remove Users group add Guests group

On folder properties security tab. Open advanced dialog. Clear inherit from
check box.
Select clear option from popup (not to copy inherited ACL). OK the dialog
Add an admin user and give full access
Add the new user and give read access
You may need to go to the advanced dialog and select replace permission on
children

Note when testing if you are using IE and it recognises the local site as
belonging to the intranet zone it will silent attempt to use your login
details. Since you are likely to be an admin of your machine it will appear
that the folder isn't protected.

A good test would be from another machine logged on as someone else using a
FQDN for the machine.