To begin

Luca Francesca

Hi,
due to my work (Oracle DB, Tomcat,Jboss) I need to learn Java.

I already loaded on my Kindle all the Oracle's site tuttorial.

Now I'd like to know if there's a book/site/tutorial/howto that I can use.
My background is some C/C++ (at university ), Python (for fun) and perl/bash for work reasons (alongside sed/grep/awk and regexp)

Thanks for your time

markspace

Arne Vajhøj

due to my work (Oracle DB, Tomcat,Jboss) I need to learn Java.

I already loaded on my Kindle all the Oracle's site tuttorial.

Now I'd like to know if there's a book/site/tutorial/howto that I can use.
My background is some C/C++ (at university ), Python (for fun) and perl/bash for work reasons (alongside sed/grep/awk and regexp)

You really should get a book about Java.

There are lots of books about Java.

My suggestion would be to go to Amazon, search for Java books
and read description and reviews for each.

Arne

Luca Francesca

After a little search, i found these books

)Java Precisely,Peter Sestoft

)Agile Java: Crafting Code with Test-Driven Development, Jeff Langr

) Core Java Volume I--Fundamentals di Horstmann, Cay S. ; Cornell, Gary (2012, 9th edition)

Now I need something on Tomcat/Jboss..

Lew

Luca said:
After a little search, i [sic] found these books

)Java Precisely,Peter Sestoft
)Agile Java: Crafting Code with Test-Driven Development, Jeff Langr
) Core Java Volume I--Fundamentals di Horstmann, Cay S. ; Cornell, Gary (2012, 9th edition)

/Effective Java/, 2nd ed., Joshua Bloch.

Arne Vajhøj

Why?

Your Tomcat doc says:

#There are several parts to Tomcat. Tomcat itself is the supervisor. It
#hosts Catalina to serve as a womb for Servlets. It hosts Jasper to
#handle JSP (Java Server Pages). It hosts Coyote to handle vanilla HTTP
#(Hypertext Transfer Protocol) serving. However, it is common for
#people to add on the Apache HTTPD Web server version 2.4.3 for high
#performance HTTP serving. It runs beside, not under Tomcat.

"supervsior" ??

"womb" ??

For the Java relevant portion:
- the httpd run in front of Tomcat not at the side
- often the purpose is different from high performance

Your JBoss doc says:

#JBoss
# formerly called EJBoss. An open-source EE-compliant EJB server.

"An ... EJB server" ??

Arne