    Now I'd like to know if there's a book/site/tutorial/howto that I can use.
    My background is some C/C++ (at university ), Python (for fun) and perl/bash for work reasons (alongside sed/grep/awk and regexp)

    Thanks for your time

    Luca Francesca, Nov 30, 2012

  2. Luca Francesca

    markspace Guest

    On 11/30/2012 3:06 AM, Luca Francesca wrote:
    > I already loaded on my Kindle all the Oracle's site tuttorial.

    Oracle's tutorial is a good start.

    > Now I'd like to know if there's a book/site/tutorial/howto that I can use.

    I like O'Reilly book:

    <http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781565927186.do>

    You will also need a primer on Servlets and JSPs.

    <http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-Servlets-JSP-Certified/dp/0596005407>

    There's lots to learn besides those two. However, they will get you
    started.

    markspace, Nov 30, 2012

  3. Luca Francesca

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 03:06:15 -0800 (PST), Luca Francesca
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html

    Roedy Green, Nov 30, 2012
  4. Luca Francesca

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 11/30/2012 6:06 AM, Luca Francesca wrote:
    > due to my work (Oracle DB, Tomcat,Jboss) I need to learn Java.
    >
    > I already loaded on my Kindle all the Oracle's site tuttorial.
    >
    > Now I'd like to know if there's a book/site/tutorial/howto that I can use.
    > My background is some C/C++ (at university ), Python (for fun) and perl/bash for work reasons (alongside sed/grep/awk and regexp)

    You really should get a book about Java.

    There are lots of books about Java.

    My suggestion would be to go to Amazon, search for Java books
    and read description and reviews for each.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 1, 2012
  5. After a little search, i found these books

    )Java Precisely,Peter Sestoft

    )Agile Java: Crafting Code with Test-Driven Development, Jeff Langr

    ) Core Java Volume I--Fundamentals di Horstmann, Cay S. ; Cornell, Gary (2012, 9th edition)

    Now I need something on Tomcat/Jboss..

    Luca Francesca, Dec 5, 2012
  6. Luca Francesca

    Lew Guest

    Luca Francesca wrote:
    > After a little search, i [sic] found these books
    >
    > )Java Precisely,Peter Sestoft
    > )Agile Java: Crafting Code with Test-Driven Development, Jeff Langr
    > ) Core Java Volume I--Fundamentals di Horstmann, Cay S. ; Cornell, Gary (2012, 9th edition)

    /Effective Java/, 2nd ed., Joshua Bloch.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Dec 5, 2012
  7. Luca Francesca

    Roedy Green, Dec 5, 2012
  8. Luca Francesca

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Dec 6, 2012
  9. Luca Francesca

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/6/2012 12:04 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 03:00:17 -0800 (PST), Luca Francesca
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >> Now I need something on Tomcat/Jboss..

    > see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/tomcat.html
    > see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jboss.html

    Why?

    Your Tomcat doc says:

    #There are several parts to Tomcat. Tomcat itself is the supervisor. It
    #hosts Catalina to serve as a womb for Servlets. It hosts Jasper to
    #handle JSP (Java Server Pages). It hosts Coyote to handle vanilla HTTP
    #(Hypertext Transfer Protocol) serving. However, it is common for
    #people to add on the Apache HTTPD Web server version 2.4.3 for high
    #performance HTTP serving. It runs beside, not under Tomcat.

    "supervsior" ??

    "womb" ??

    For the Java relevant portion:
    - the httpd run in front of Tomcat not at the side
    - often the purpose is different from high performance

    Your JBoss doc says:

    #JBoss
    # formerly called EJBoss. An open-source EE-compliant EJB server.

    "An ... EJB server" ??

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 8, 2012