    memory, and now Sun is moving to Open Source, what effects will this
    have on the standard?

    Jaap
    Jaap, Jul 9, 2006

  2. Jaap

    steve Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 03:38:07 +0800, Jaap wrote
    (in article <44b15b1f$0$19259$4all.nl>):

    > I have a general question for contemplation: when does anyone consider
    > converting to the new Mustang version of Java, which is now in beta?
    >
    > obviously you have to consider this case by case, but as a general
    > principle, can you stay with the current version if you don't need the
    > full compiler control, scripting options from version 6? or are you
    > supposed to switch? the conversion from 1.4 to 1.5 is still fresh is
    > memory, and now Sun is moving to Open Source, what effects will this
    > have on the standard?
    >
    > Jaap

    Why not wait till version 7 which will be next year, or V8 6 months later.
    Seriously sun should be shot , for the millions of dollars they waste, and
    force people to waste.
    Instead of bug fixing a stable language they just keep adding bloat.
    Follow if you want to, or instead you can just code to 1.4 standard and wait
    a few years.

    Steve
    steve, Jul 9, 2006

  3. Jaap

    Chris Smith Guest

    Jaap <> wrote:
    > I have a general question for contemplation: when does anyone consider
    > converting to the new Mustang version of Java, which is now in beta?
    >
    > obviously you have to consider this case by case, but as a general
    > principle, can you stay with the current version if you don't need the
    > full compiler control, scripting options from version 6? or are you
    > supposed to switch? the conversion from 1.4 to 1.5 is still fresh is
    > memory, and now Sun is moving to Open Source, what effects will this
    > have on the standard?

    There is no need to switch if you don't have a reason to do so.
    Generally speaking, bux fix releases are made against the past two major
    release cycles (this is empirical; I don't know if there's any kind of
    committment to this effect by Sun). In any case, the transition to Java
    1.6 is unlikely to be nearly as tough as the one from 1.4 to 1.5. I
    know companies that are still contemplating that change. (If something
    happens in 1.7 to fix generics, it may turn out they were the smart
    ones...)

    --
    Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Jul 9, 2006
  4. Chris Smith wrote:

    > There is no need to switch if you don't have a reason to do so.
    > Generally speaking, bux fix releases are made against the past two major
    > release cycles (this is empirical; I don't know if there's any kind of
    > committment to this effect by Sun).

    The version before the one which is superseded goes into a 1.5 year end
    of life period. So at the moment 1.5 is current, 1.3 has been in end of
    life for over 1.5 years (last time I looked it had not been moved into
    the archive section) and in the autumn 1.4 should start its end of life
    period.

    Not many bug fixes get backported. Just as well as allegedly in general
    each bug fix introduces 0.7 new bugs on average. Funnily enough they do
    seem quite keen on updating the core virtual machine. Presumably it is
    sufficiently out of the way that few of the people likely to complain
    notice.

    > In any case, the transition to Java
    > 1.6 is unlikely to be nearly as tough as the one from 1.4 to 1.5. I
    > know companies that are still contemplating that change. (If something
    > happens in 1.7 to fix generics, it may turn out they were the smart
    > ones...)

    It's changing the source from 1.4 to 1.5 clean which is disruptive. That
    and switching to new classes, such as StringBuilder. If you use -source
    1.4 -target 1.4 or ignore the warnings, it shouldn't be too difficult.

    Two years doesn't seem too fast an update cycle.

    Tom Hawtin
    --
    Unemployed English Java programmer
    http://jroller.com/page/tackline/
    Thomas Hawtin, Jul 10, 2006
  5. Jaap wrote:
    > I have a general question for contemplation: when does anyone consider
    > converting to the new Mustang version of Java, which is now in beta?

    You can start looking at the new features now. However, there is no
    hurry to update, especially since Java SE 6 is still beta software. Most
    tools take several months to fully support the new version, so you might
    not seriously consider moving to Java SE 6 until early next year.

    Early adopters and engineers starting completely new projects might
    consider using version 6 right now... However, you would not want to
    deploy existing apps onto version 6. That probably isn't the wisest
    option at the moment.

    Regards,
    John O'Conner
    John O'Conner, Jul 10, 2006