To create an EXE file in Java

Gulapala

I want to install the application in the client so that the souce code is
hidden.
Its like creating an exe file in VB or Cand giving it to the client.How to
do it?

I want to note that Using the jad tool we can also construct the source
file from the class file

Paul Lutus

Gulapala said:
I want to install the application in the client so that the souce code is
hidden.

So don't include the source file.
Its like creating an exe file in VB or Cand giving it to the client.
What?

How to do it?

Don't include the source file.
I want to note that Using the jad tool we can also construct the source
file from the class file

You cannot reconstruct "the source" from the class file. But you can use an
obfuscator to make any hacking efforts more difficult.

Mr Frank

Gulapala said:
I want to install the application in the client so that the souce code is
hidden.
Its like creating an exe file in VB or Cand giving it to the client.How to
do it?

I want to note that Using the jad tool we can also construct the source
file from the class file

Gulapala,

There are some products that generate an EXE from Java but they are either
commercial or in the case of free ones somewhat out of date. (Sun pump out
new Java version faster than these guys can keep up).

Obfuscation is the way to go but then again it is not free. Zelix is
excellent and well priced, DashO is ok but expensive.

Are you sure you can really write classes that your client can reverse
engineer for a great profit? I reckon not!

Regards.

Jacob

Gulapala said:
I want to install the application in the client so that the souce code is
hidden.

You can use an obfuscator to do this, but it is probably not
worth the effort.

Bundle your applcation as a .jar file. A .jar is an executable
file and equivalent (or superior really) to a .exe file for all
practical purposes.

Michael Saunby

Gulapala said:
I want to install the application in the client so that the souce code is
hidden.
Its like creating an exe file in VB or Cand giving it to the client.How
do it?

I want to note that Using the jad tool we can also construct the source
file from the class file

The GNU java compiler does what you want but probably not for the reason
you want it
http://gcc.gnu.org/java/

The notion of hiding code to the extent that others cannot even reverse
engineer it is generally something only that very insecure people or
organisations try to do. Not nice people to work with or for.

If you've analysed the risks and the cost/benefits of doing what you seem
to want to do and it still seems like a good way to spend your time, then I
reckon you're most likely doing things wrong. Try giving some thought to
why the rest of the world doesn't have the same need.

Michael Saunby