    So, the question is; what alternatives could I be using instead? Is XHTML
    the way forward or am I again out of date with the best web language to use
    for main page designs?
    Gary Newport, Dec 22, 2004

  2. Gary Newport

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Gary Newport wrote:

    [Frames]
    > The issue is that I want a contents pages but do not want to have to
    > make a change to every page when a new page is added or it's path
    > changed for some reason. So, the question is; what alternatives could
    > I be using instead?

    The alternative, and a better one at that, is to create a separate file
    containing your navigation and include it within your pages using server
    side inclusion methods such as SSI, PHP or ASP.

    See <URL:http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another>

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Dec 22, 2004

  3. In article <KXjyd.2803$>,
    says...
    > I constantlt read that frames are not recommended for XHTML or future
    > website designs but cannot find a decent replacement.

    That's because there is no replacement for frames. other than specialty
    cases. there is little need for frames on a web site.

    > I have read about
    > iFrames and xFrames but none seem to offer the same capabilities. The issue
    > is that I want a contents pages but do not want to have to make a change to
    > every page when a new page is added or it's path changed for some reason.
    > So, the question is; what alternatives could I be using instead? Is XHTML
    > the way forward or am I again out of date with the best web language to use
    > for main page designs?

    Maintaining a web site by your self is way over your head right now.
    (This based on your question.) If the page is currently working. Then
    leave it along right now, and go do some studying, spend a week in
    google reading this group. Hit w3schools and do a few tutorials. But
    in a week or so you will not only know why the frames are bad. You will
    know how to fix it. (Which there are several different ways depending on
    what you want to do)

    --
    -=*Tn*=-
    Travis Newbury, Dec 22, 2004