"To help protect your security, "

McKirahan

What is "active content"? My ASP page just returns HTML....

I have a page with an .htm extension that has a form whose action
is an ASP page which generates a report after updating a database
with the form data.

Under Windowx XP SP2 the IE6 "Information Bar" has the message:

"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this
file from showing active content that could access your computer."

I found the fix (at the link below) that says to (under IE6) go to
Tools + Internet Options + Advanced then scroll down to Security
and check "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer"
http://kb.sumtotalsystems.com/kbdisplay.asp?id=Q109423048500021

Microsoft states the following:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx
#EDAA

Active Content Blocked -- Detailed description

When active content is blocked from running in the
Local Machine zone, the Information Bar will appear.

The Information Bar includes descriptive text that explains why
the action was taken and provides a context sensitive menu that
you can use to respond to the notification. The following table
identifies the text that will appear in the Information Bar and the
actions that you can select from the menu.

What's the Risk?

Why is this change important? What threats does it help mitigate?

In Windows XP SP2, Internet Explorer sometimes blocks active
content which may be necessary to complete certain tasks.
This new user interface element ensures that there is a notification
that allows people to complete these tasks on Web pages they trust.

What works differently?

The Local Machine zone mitigation will now use the new Information Bar.

For more information, see "Internet Explorer Local Machine Zone Lockdown,"
later in this document.

Bob Lehmann

We're from MicroSoft, and we're here to help.....
It looks like you're writing a letter. How may we screw it up for you?

Switch to FireFox, and get the better protection without the nuisance.

PS - I develop software using MS products & technologies, which I love. The
current IE, however, is a lumbering dinosaur facing imminent extinction.

Bob Lehmann