To reuse or not to reuse....

Hylander

a framework for a j2ee web application.
That is the question.

I find there are some benefits to not using a framework and
instead using tools. The problem with frameworks is that they can
have limitations or bugs and you have to wait for a fix, contribute
a fix (and hopefully it's accepted), or freeze the version of the
framework
and make a custom branch of it. (which you could merge at some point
in
the future but it is often troublesome). Often, managers accuse your
architecture of faults when often, it is the fault of frameworks.
Often you cannot control performance very well...you often feel you
would rather not touch the innards of a framework. If you stick to
some
patterns, you can always change on your own later...it often isn't too
hard
to make a kind of framework you can improve on and take with you that
will
match the set of requirements you typically get confronted with within
your
industry. The good thing is that you will be familiar with all the
code and
any and all maintenance will be much more straight forward.

I have used frameworks in the past and some have turned out to be very
poor. (I won't drop any names out of respect to open source
developers)

Then again, there are real benefits to using
frameworks. They seem great for contractors...build it and leave
systems. They are quick and leave little work for you to do...and when
you are done...you often don't get bothered again. If I do have a
project like this...I'm considering using SOFIA. Has anyone had any
headaches with it? Anyone try JAG? (java application generator?)

Anyone else find this somewhat true?

(this is, btw, not a rant or against frameworks per se...nor against
reuse...
reuse is good.)