To reuse or not to reuse....

Discussion in 'Java' started by Hylander, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Hylander

    Hylander Guest

    a framework for a j2ee web application.
    That is the question.

    I find there are some benefits to not using a framework and
    instead using tools. The problem with frameworks is that they can
    have limitations or bugs and you have to wait for a fix, contribute
    a fix (and hopefully it's accepted), or freeze the version of the
    framework
    and make a custom branch of it. (which you could merge at some point
    in
    the future but it is often troublesome). Often, managers accuse your
    architecture of faults when often, it is the fault of frameworks.
    Often you cannot control performance very well...you often feel you
    would rather not touch the innards of a framework. If you stick to
    some
    patterns, you can always change on your own later...it often isn't too
    hard
    to make a kind of framework you can improve on and take with you that
    will
    match the set of requirements you typically get confronted with within
    your
    industry. The good thing is that you will be familiar with all the
    code and
    any and all maintenance will be much more straight forward.

    I have used frameworks in the past and some have turned out to be very
    poor. (I won't drop any names out of respect to open source
    developers)

    Then again, there are real benefits to using
    frameworks. They seem great for contractors...build it and leave
    systems. They are quick and leave little work for you to do...and when
    you are done...you often don't get bothered again. If I do have a
    project like this...I'm considering using SOFIA. Has anyone had any
    headaches with it? Anyone try JAG? (java application generator?)

    Anyone else find this somewhat true?

    (this is, btw, not a rant or against frameworks per se...nor against
    reuse...
    reuse is good.)

    Hylander, Feb 26, 2004