To reuse or not to reuse

jacob navia

There is an interesting discussion running in Slashdot now, about code
reuse.

The thema of the discussion is here:

< quote >
Susan Elliot Sim asks: "In the science fiction novel, 'A Deepness in the
Sky,' Vernor Vinge described a future where software is created by
'programmer archaeologists' who search archives for existing pieces of
code, contextualize them, and combine them into new applications. So
much complexity and automation has been built into code that it is
simply infeasible to build from scratch. While this seems like the
ultimate code reuse fantasy (or nightmare), we think it's starting to
happen with the availability of Open Source software. We have observed a
number of projects where software development is driven by the
identification, selection, and combination of working software systems.
More often than not, these constituent parts are Open Source software
systems and typically not designed to be used as components. These parts
are then made to interoperate through wrappers and glue code. We think
this trend is a harbinger of things to come. What do you think? How
prevalent is this approach to new software development? What do software
developers think about their projects being used in such a way?"

< end quote >

I think it would be an interesting discussion for us. We all do code
reuse, but somehow, it is supposed that code reuse is only done with
"advanced" languages with OO programming and what have you.

C, as a language, we are being told, doesn't encourage code reuse, it is
too "low level".

But I am anticipating. I have actually read "A deepness in the Sky",
and it made a lasting impression, it is a wonderful novel.

That part about software reuse made me think that actually this has
already happened a LONG time ago already since actually nobody starts
from scratch. We all reuse what other people have created for us.

When I start writing a new software in C, I reuse the compiler system,
the editor, and obviously all the software and hardware needed to create
the processor, the computer, etc. Nobody starts from scratch.

That scene in the book made also realize the LAYERED nature of
software. When we reuse a bit of software we make a new LAYER of
code, hopefully a layer that allows us getting higher quicker and
doesn't represent a risk of letting us down and crumbling when we climb
to it :)

Code reuse in C takes many approaches, but probably the most common is
cut/paste.

We take a piece of software from some other software, that doesn't even
have an explicit interface and wasn't even intended to be reused at all.
We just reuse the algo.

Mostly we reuse a function, or a piece of a function doing a simple
task. For instance today I was wondering if I could write a rationals
package (numbers like 2/3, 3/4 etc), specifically a least common
multiple algorithm (lcm). So I started looking around
(software archeology) and remembered that I wrote already such a package
for a lisp interpreter back in 1989 that already did that. After several
hours looking around in the pile of old floppy disks, I found it, and
it seemed reusable.

But I wasn't satisfied, there are maybe errors, even if the tests back
then never showed any errors in it.

Google.

Google has a feature called

http://www.google.com/codesearch

that will allow you search an extensive data base of public domain
software. I searched for lcm algorithm and found a hit in

gnc-numeric.c -- an exact-number library for accounting use
* Copyright (C) 2000 Bill Gribble

In the package "gnotime". I looked at the algorithm and it did almost
the same thing as I did, what was kind of reassuring.

Reuse today is done more or less like that. You search ("archeology")
a data base of old software and take pieces out of that software
incoporating them into the new one, more or less always with
some modifications.

Obviously there are many hidden assumptions when reusing software.
The most crucial one is that you can only reuse something if the
software environment that you are using is compatible with the old
software.

In the novel, Vernor Vinge supposes a stable society/environment of
millions of years, with human beings living several thousands of years.
Obviously that is an ideal reuse environment, what couldn't be absent
from the mind of Vinge, a software expert.

Software reuse can be done in this way in C since C offers a stable
software environment taht is now quite old, even if our whole field
(data processing) is comparatively new.

Other languages, due to their more recent origins, offer less
opportunities for software reuse in this way. C#, for instance,
being just a few yers old at most, will never have the same database
of code as C. A search with the same parameters yielded not a
single match for C#.

Here are the results for some languages:
C 9
C++ 3
Java 1
Ada zero
C# zero
Asm zero
Lisp zero
Smalltalk zero
Fortran zero
Delphi zero

Obviously there must be other algorithms where this is different,
because some languages are specialized in numerical calculations,
others in IA algorithms, etc etc.

These are just some thoughts to start a discussion.

jacob

cloverman

[{snip]
C, as a language, we are being told, doesn't encourage code reuse, it is
too "low level".
Languages in them selves do not encourage re-use - programmers (or a
group of programmers) with an eye to saving extra work, in development
and future maintenance, will isolate and re-use common functionality in
whatever language they write.
[snip]
Code reuse in C takes many approaches, but probably the most common is
cut/paste.
Cut and paste is rare. Good programmers - and most C programmers are
good ;-) - in any language know why not to, and do not cut and paste -
they call existing functions or refactor existing functions so that the
bits they want are callable as re-usable functions.
Reuse today is done more or less like that. You search ("archeology")
a data base of old software and take pieces out of that software
incoporating them into the new one, more or less always with
some modifications.
Your use of "archeology" is not quite right - because archeology is not
finding things to re-use - it is looking at the artefacts of an older
civilization, and trying to work out what they were thinking - I, as a
maintenance analyst/programmer, have often used the term "doing the
archeology" in a different (and I think clearer) sense as trying to
find out what an (insufficiently documented) system was intended to to
do.
I also have a particular interest in the ancient henges of England -
these henges (earth works) have been reused by different civilizations
over thousands of years - the focus of their rites change from focus on
the moon to focus on the sun - the original work was used for a
completely different purpose to its construction - that's true
re-usability :)

Keith Thompson

jacob navia said:
C, as a language, we are being told, doesn't encourage code reuse, it is
too "low level".

Told by whom? I don't recall anyone making such a claim.

jacob navia

cloverman a écrit :
[{snip]
C, as a language, we are being told, doesn't encourage code reuse, it is
too "low level".

Languages in them selves do not encourage re-use - programmers (or a
group of programmers) with an eye to saving extra work, in development
and future maintenance, will isolate and re-use common functionality in
whatever language they write.
[snip]
Code reuse in C takes many approaches, but probably the most common is
cut/paste.

Cut and paste is rare. Good programmers - and most C programmers are
good ;-) - in any language know why not to, and do not cut and paste -
they call existing functions or refactor existing functions so that the
bits they want are callable as re-usable functions.
That works only if the code was intended to be reused in that fashion.
Most often than not, you find code that within some function does
something similar to what you want to do. For instance in the code
I found in the internet, the lcm algorithm is embedded within
a larger function that does a lot of other things.

Code reuse with cut/paste can be just snipping a couple of lines
from an example or from another software that builds a pipe,
for instance, or does eomething specific.

jacob navia

Keith Thompson a écrit :
Told by whom? I don't recall anyone making such a claim.

I have in mind the OO crowd with their continuos emphasis that
"only OO" allows for real code reuse.

CBFalconer

jacob said:
.... snip ...

That works only if the code was intended to be reused in that
fashion. Most often than not, you find code that within some
function does something similar to what you want to do. For
instance in the code I found in the internet, the lcm algorithm
is embedded within a larger function that does a lot of other
things.

Then, IMNSHO, the original programmer was not very good. An lcm
routine is easily separated out into an independent entity, and
reused as necessary.

Eric Sosman

jacob said:
Keith Thompson a écrit :

I have in mind the OO crowd with their continuos emphasis that
"only OO" allows for real code reuse.

Wasn't it Java that introduced the word "deprecated" into
the programming vocabulary? Amusing, isn't it, that an object-
oriented language defines an official compiler-supported means
to *discourage* code re-use?

(Some programmers express their distaste for re-use by
refusing to re-use the standard spelling of "deprecated," instead
writing "depreciated" or "depricated." Can "decrapated" be
far off?)

Richard Heathfield

jacob navia said:

We all do code
reuse, but somehow, it is supposed that code reuse is only done with
"advanced" languages with OO programming and what have you.

You're right. I agree. We all re-use code, but it doesn't count as "code
re-use" if it's not object-oriented - *if* you listen to the OO folks.
C, as a language, we are being told, doesn't encourage code reuse, it is
too "low level".

And yet, as you know, we do re-use C code. We do it all the time. We shove
our code into libraries, and use those libraries constantly.

Nobody starts from scratch.

Right again. And nobody throws away good general-purpose libraries.
That scene in the book made also realize the LAYERED nature of
software. When we reuse a bit of software we make a new LAYER of
code, hopefully a layer that allows us getting higher quicker and
doesn't represent a risk of letting us down and crumbling when we climb
to it :)

If I understand you aright, this is what Douglas Hofstadter calls
"chunking", and it's an essential part of manageable complexity. Note,
however, that there are times when we need to "de-chunk" - to take a long
hard look at our chunks, and decide whether they really reflect the problem
at hand. For an excellent discussion of this, see the spam filtering
analysis in K&P's "The Practice of Programming".
Code reuse in C takes many approaches, but probably the most common is
cut/paste.

That is probably the most common, but not necessarily the best! If a piece
of code is useful enough to be used /twice/, it's probably useful enough to
go into a library.

Obviously there are many hidden assumptions when reusing software.
The most crucial one is that you can only reuse something if the
software environment that you are using is compatible with the old
software.

Often this is irrelevant to C code, since C is inherently portable (mostly!)
if you stay within the bounds of the Standard. A more important factor, I
think, is that of modularity: whether the code was originally *designed* to
be re-used, or whether it has been nailed to its application by, say, tight
coupling (e.g. use of non-standard libraries for which the source is not
available, or by use of file scope objects).

<snip>

Richard Heathfield

Eric Sosman said:

Wasn't it Java that introduced the word "deprecated" into
the programming vocabulary?

No. I certainly recall encountering and indeed using the term on a fairly
frequent basis in the early 1990s, well before the introduction of Java in
May 1995.

Eric Sosman

Richard said:
Eric Sosman said:

No. I certainly recall encountering and indeed using the term on a fairly
frequent basis in the early 1990s, well before the introduction of Java in
May 1995.

Of course the word was around in ordinary English (he said,
with a deprecating sneer), but I don't recall hearing it used much
by programmers until Java came along. Can you recall whether the
early programming-related uses you encountered were connected to
any particular language or technology? I seem to recall a man page
for "as" that had some deprecatory remarks about writing one's own
assembly instead of leaving it to the compiler, but I can't recall
whether it actually used the word "deprecate."

Richard Tobin

Eric Sosman said:
Of course the word was around in ordinary English (he said,
with a deprecating sneer), but I don't recall hearing it used much
by programmers until Java came along.

Do a Google groups search for "deprecated" in comp.lang.c with a date
restriction (or even net.lang.c). You will see plenty of discussion
from the 1980s about what features should be deprecated in ANSI C.

I believe the FORTRAN 90 standard had a list of deprecated features,
but I can't find an online copy to verify that it used that word.

But having checked, I must admit that you seem to be right that
Java was responsible for a great increase in the use of the word.
The number of articles in comp.lang.* using the word "deprecate"
jumped from 161 in 1996 to 753 in 1997, and 531 of those 753 were
in comp.lang.java.*.

-- Richard

Richard Harter

jacob said:
Keith Thompson a écrit :
[...]

C, as a language, we are being told, doesn't encourage code reuse, it is
too "low level".

Told by whom? I don't recall anyone making such a claim.

I have in mind the OO crowd with their continuos emphasis that
"only OO" allows for real code reuse.

Wasn't it Java that introduced the word "deprecated" into
the programming vocabulary? Amusing, isn't it, that an object-
oriented language defines an official compiler-supported means
to *discourage* code re-use?

IIRC the computed goto was deprecated in the fortran 77 standard.

Frederick Gotham

jacob navia:
C, as a language, we are being told, doesn't encourage code reuse, it is
too "low level".

Contrast:

memcpy(&a,&b,sizeof a);

with:

{
char unsigned *p = (char unsigned*)&a;
char unsigned const *q = (char unsigned const*)&b;

char unsigned const *const pover = p + sizeof a;
while (pover != p) *p++ = *q++;
}

This is what my idea of "re-use" is. Instead of verbosely typing out an
algorithm step by step, we call a little function. Not only that, but we do
on to archive the function for future use in other programs.

Obviously there are many hidden assumptions when reusing software.
The most crucial one is that you can only reuse something if the
software environment that you are using is compatible with the old
software.

I think another assumption is that the "re-used" code works perfectly. For
example, one of the reasons a lot of C++ programmers advocate the use of
"std::string" rather than null-terminated char arrays is that you can get
things done quicker, but the other reason is that it's harder to make
mistakes and to introduce bugs. The second argument, however, only makes
sense if we assume that the "re-used" code works perfectly all the time.

Frederick Gotham

jacob navia:
I have in mind the OO crowd with their continuos emphasis that
"only OO" allows for real code reuse.

Sounds like the inventor of the lightbulb thinks that candles never did
their job.

Honestly though, I've never understood the whole OO hype. I myself have
been programming in C++ for a few years now, and, having a decent enough
knowledge of C aswell, it strikes me that most OO facilities are little
more than syntactical sugar. Yes, it's nice to be able to write:

FancyType obj;

instead of:

FancyType obj;
InitFancyType(&obj);

, but I wouldn't go so far as to think that OO is the revolution that some
people make it out to be.

Take "polymorphism" for instance. It's a ridiculously pretentious name for
something very simple. "virtual function" strikes me as a very stupid term
too, a bit of a misnomer. You put a V-Table pointer within each object, and
all of a sudden the programming world has been revolutionised?! Please.

I can understand how maybe the "less proficient than thou" programmers
might benefit from the widespread dumbed-down-ness that OO has brought to
the fore, and how they might think that OO is the best thing since sliced
bread, but I just don't get the hype.

Serve Laurijssen

jacob navia said:
Code reuse in C takes many approaches, but probably the most common is
cut/paste.

I dont recall copy/pasting SetWindowText or any other of the thousands of
Win32 functions to my own projects. Or is that not code reuse? Also the
win32 functions are a good example where data abstraction is used in C,
which is one of the principles of OO. It's just amazing how anybody could
say code reuse isnt possible in a structured language, OO programmer or not.
I also wouldnt say "the whole OO crowd" says that of course

Eric Sosman

Richard said:
Do a Google groups search for "deprecated" in comp.lang.c with a date
restriction (or even net.lang.c). You will see plenty of discussion
from the 1980s about what features should be deprecated in ANSI C.

I believe the FORTRAN 90 standard had a list of deprecated features,
but I can't find an online copy to verify that it used that word.

But having checked, I must admit that you seem to be right that
Java was responsible for a great increase in the use of the word.
The number of articles in comp.lang.* using the word "deprecate"
jumped from 161 in 1996 to 753 in 1997, and 531 of those 753 were
in comp.lang.java.*.

Let me change the observation just a little. The claim in
question was offered by Jacob Navia
> I have in mind the OO crowd with their continuos emphasis that
> "only OO" allows for real code reuse.

(from context, it's clear he's not an enthusiastic backer of
the claim). I pointed to Java's popularization of "deprecated"
as a possible counter-indication, but may have been giving
Java too much credit.

But there's another thing: The Java language defines a
formal mechanism for deprecation, a mechanism supported not
only by the documentation tools but also by the compiler and
the "object file" format. The language has an officially-
sanctioned mechanism whose only function is to *discourage*
code re-use! Is this a fly in the object-oriented ointment?

(No, of course not, not really, but we're nearing the end
of an election campaign where I live, and the spirit of fatuous
argument is abroad in the land. Besides, silly sloganeering
is kinda fun!)

Charlton Wilbur

Frederick Gotham said:
Honestly though, I've never understood the whole OO hype. I myself have
been programming in C++ for a few years now, and, having a decent enough
knowledge of C aswell, it strikes me that most OO facilities are little
more than syntactical sugar.

Well, yes, just as most structured-language facilities are little more
than syntactic sugar. Heck, C is just a fancy bit of sugar that hides
what's *really* going on at the assembly language level!

Part of your problem is that C++ is a real dog's breakfast of an
object-oriented language. It has all the things that are virtues in C
and all the things that are virtues of object orientation, but when
you mash them together, the whole turns out to be a lot less than the
sum of its parts.
I can understand how maybe the "less proficient than thou" programmers
might benefit from the widespread dumbed-down-ness that OO has brought to
the fore, and how they might think that OO is the best thing since sliced
bread, but I just don't get the hype.

Paul Graham has an article on comparing the expressive power of
languages, and his argument runs something like this. Suppose you
have a BASIC programmer (think Applesoft BASIC here, not Visual Basic)
and a C programmer. The C programmer looks at BASIC and sees no
functions, no recursion, no variable scoping -- obviously it's a less
expressive language. The BASIC programmer looks at C and sees a lot of
weird features; because he's not accustomed to having things like
functions, recursion, and variable scoping in his tools, he hasn't
learned how to use them to solve his problems, and so they look like
weird features.

(Graham's example had to do with LISP and C, as I recall, but the
analogy still applies.)

That's how it works in general: when you're accustomed to working with
a more expressive set of formalisms, you see the lack in less
expressive sets; when you are accustomed to working with a less
expressive set of formalisms, the extra bits in more expressive sets
seem like useless fripperies.

My advice, in that context, is to get away from C and learn something
completely different: Scheme, or Haskell, or ML. Even if you come
back to C in the end, you'll have a very different appreciation of its
strengths and weaknesses.

Charlton

John Bode

jacob said:
Keith Thompson a écrit :

I have in mind the OO crowd with their continuos emphasis that
"only OO" allows for real code reuse.

Obviously, that's a silly position; however I will allow that in my
experience, code reuse was usually a little easier in an OO framework
than a traditional C framework.

Dave Thompson

IIRC the computed goto was deprecated in the fortran 77 standard.
No. In 77 it was still useful and occasionally necessary.

In Fortran _95_ it is marked obselescent -- they don't use the word
deprecated, but this has the same meaning = it is still legal and
supported, but the standard-writers think it's a poor idea and there
is a better way to use instead, here F90's SELECT CASE.

And Fortran does require that a compiler be able to diagnose most
obsolescent usages including this, although it needn't be the default.

- David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net