To the python-list moderator

Terry Reedy

For a couple of years, I have been reading and posting and posting to
python-list and c.l.p via gmane.news.orgs gmane.comp.python.general group.
Today I got this from 'python-list-bounces', which I presume is a 'machine'
rather than a 'human' address.

---------------------------
Your mail to 'Python-list' with the subject

Re: how to join two Dictionary together?

The reason it is being held:

Message has a suspicious header

notification of the moderator's decision.
-----------------------------

Since I had nothing to do with the headers, the problem is between gmane's
sending (perhaps when responding to a message from a particular site) and
your review. I hope this can be fixed.

Terry J. Reedy

Michael Hudson

This is probably a fairly bad way of contacting the python-list
admins...

Terry Reedy said:
For a couple of years, I have been reading and posting and posting to
python-list and c.l.p via gmane.news.orgs gmane.comp.python.general group.
Today I got this from 'python-list-bounces', which I presume is a 'machine'
rather than a 'human' address.

---------------------------
Your mail to 'Python-list' with the subject

Re: how to join two Dictionary together?

The reason it is being held:

Message has a suspicious header

notification of the moderator's decision.
-----------------------------

Since I had nothing to do with the headers, the problem is between gmane's
sending (perhaps when responding to a message from a particular site) and
your review. I hope this can be fixed.

It's probably been flagged as UNSURE by spambayes.

Cheers,
mwh

John Hazen

This is probably a fairly bad way of contacting the python-list
Perhaps. Feel free to forward if you know a better way.

I tried sending a question to (e-mail address removed), and got
another 'don't call us, we'll maybe call you'. Maybe
(e-mail address removed)?
But public posting allows comments by others
as to similar problems, like Gregory's.

And mine. FWIW, I'm posting direct to the mailing list with
mutt/postfix. Since I *do* have concrol over my headers, it would be
nice to see what header is 'suspicious', so I could possibly modify it.

It'll be interesting to see if this post makes it to the list...

-John

Terry Reedy

Michael Hudson said:
This is probably a fairly bad way of contacting the python-list
admins...

Perhaps. Feel free to forward if you know a better way.

As I noted ...

If there had been an address that I thought would reach the appropriate
person, I would have used it. But public posting allows comments by others
as to similar problems, like Gregory's.

This has a distinct 'don't call us, we'll maybe call you flavor. As of
now, my post seems to still be in limbo (not on c.l.p and no notification).
It's probably been flagged as UNSURE by spambayes.

As I said, I hope the mismatch between legitimate senders and reviewer can
be fixed.

Terry J. Reedy

Terry Hancock

For a couple of years, I have been reading and posting and posting to
python-list and c.l.p via gmane.news.orgs gmane.comp.python.general group.
Today I got this from 'python-list-bounces', which I presume is a 'machine'
rather than a 'human' address.

I got one of these too, recently. Maybe somebody is turning up the
screws to get rid of spam that's been appearing on the list?

Fredrik Lundh

Terry said:
I got one of these too, recently. Maybe somebody is turning up the
screws to get rid of spam that's been appearing on the list?

I've been getting these about once a day lately. at first, I suspected
some kind of "you're posting to quickly"-filter with a manual "okay,
you're whitelisted for another 24 hours" setup, but it seems to block
messages mostly by random. and some messages don't seem to get
through at all. slightly annoying.

</F>

skip

Fredrik> I've been getting these about once a day lately. at first, I
Fredrik> suspected some kind of "you're posting to quickly"-filter with
Fredrik> a manual "okay, you're whitelisted for another 24 hours" setup,
Fredrik> but it seems to block messages mostly by random. and some
Fredrik> messages don't seem to get through at all. slightly annoying.

I think it's just that the SpamBayes training database used to check the
list's messages is perhaps getting a little tired.

Skip

Neil Schemenauer

In the future, sending a message to (e-mail address removed) is
suggested rather than posting to only to python-list. What's
happening is that Spambayes is marking the message as UNSURE. The
message that mailman sends to the sender is unfortunate. The
"Message has a suspicious header" notice is misleading because the
user did not have any header in their message that caused it to be
held (at least normally not).

I'm not sure why many legitimate messages are being flagged as
UNSURE. I'll look into it.
I've been getting these about once a day lately. at first, I suspected
some kind of "you're posting to quickly"-filter with a manual "okay,
you're whitelisted for another 24 hours" setup, but it seems to block
messages mostly by random. and some messages don't seem to get
through at all. slightly annoying.

Hmm, the message should eventually get through since it ends up
getting moderated by a person. Maybe they are getting overwhelmed
and are making some mistakes.

Neil

Terry Reedy

Neil Schemenauer said:
In the future, sending a message to (e-mail address removed) is
suggested rather than posting to only to python-list.

Thank you information. Since python.org is mostly stuff other than the
mailing lists, I did not think of that. Adding it to the CC line for this
reply.
What's
happening is that Spambayes is marking the message as UNSURE. The
message that mailman sends to the sender is unfortunate. The
"Message has a suspicious header" notice is misleading because the
user did not have any header in their message that caused it to be
held (at least normally not).

Is that hardwired into Spambayes or can it be edited.
I'm not sure why many legitimate messages are being flagged as
UNSURE. I'll look into it.

Then my 'misdirected' query will have worked anyway. Thank you.
Hmm, the message should eventually get through since it ends up
getting moderated by a person.

My embargoed reply, which I believe I sent Sunday, was released
mid-Thursday.
Maybe they are getting overwhelmed and are making some mistakes.

Fewer false positives would make life easier for everyone. Perhaps a
whitelist of regular and long-terms posters would help. I think most or
all of the 4 people who responed 'me too' would also qualify.

What still puzzles me is why the spamblocker that embargoed me and others
did not catch such obvious spam as Subject: Re: The penis is way too
delicate for masturbation (and occasional others like this). If you need a
regular c.l.p reader to forward missed spam for addition to the training
base, I would volunteer.

Terry J. Reedy

Fredrik Lundh

Terry said:
Is that hardwired into Spambayes or can it be edited.

it's a mailman thing. I suspect that they run things through spambayes,
and use mailman filters to look for "UNSURE" in the "X-Spam-Status"
header added by spambayes. see e.g.

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.059.htp

I'm pretty sure the python.org administrators have the mailman source
code, so it shouldn't be that hard to fix the message...

</F>