to uppercase one liner help

Sherm Pendley

h3r0 said:
can anyone help with a one liner that reads a string from a file and
converts it to uppercase.

It's generally expected that you try something first, and then ask for help
if you're having trouble.

For hints getting started, have a look at:

perldoc -f open
perldoc -f uc

For a more extensive tutorial concerning opening and working with files:

perldoc perlopentut

sherm--

Sherm Pendley

h3r0 said:
if you read the thread you know what i am talking about!

If *who* reads *what* thread? We're not all using Google Groups.
look if u dont want to help then dont go on about it!, someone else
with skills and willingness may help.

Crybaby detected, attitude filter engaging.

*plonk*

sherm--

h3r0

hi

can anyone help with a one liner that reads a string from a file and
converts it to uppercase.

the string is always in this format

abcd0101a01

thanks for your time.

A. Sinan Unur

can anyone help with a one liner that reads a string from a file and
converts it to uppercase.

the string is always in this format

abcd0101a01

thanks for your time.

See perldoc perlfunc

You would also benefit from consulting the posting guidelines for this
newsgroup to find out how you can help yourself and help others help you.

Sinan

h3r0

if you read the thread you know what i am talking about!

look if u dont want to help then dont go on about it!, someone else
with skills and willingness may help.

Paul Lalli

h3r0 said:
if you read the thread you know what i am talking about!

Okay, so *you're* asking *us* for help, but *we* should be the ones who
change the method by which we read this newsgroup, to better serve
*you*?

You have a funny sense of priorities.
look if u dont want to help then dont go on about it!, someone else
with skills and willingness may help.

You've been given plenty of help already. Can you explain how the
documentation you were pointed to did not answer your question?

Paul Lalli

Jürgen Exner

h3r0 said:
if you read the thread you know what i am talking about!

look if u dont want to help then dont go on about it!, someone else
with skills and willingness may help.

How come that you have to repeat the same stuff over and over again?
I just wrote this below in a different thread:

<quote>
You don't seem to know much about Usenet. Because of its asynchronous,
distributed implementation there is no guarantee that articles
- arrive on a server in a specific order
- arrive on a server at all
- are available on a server at any specific moment in time
- are visible to a user now
- have been visible to a user in the past
- will ever be visible to a user
To make a long story short: you can never assume that Joe Reader can see or
has seen the same set of articles as you.

Therefore, and to make reading more efficient (no need to scroll back to a
previous article and most important knowing exactly which part of a
preceeding article someone is commenting on) it has been a proven Usenet
custom for the last two decades to quote just so much context from the
preceeding article that your posting is understandable without someone
reading the preceeding article. He may not had a chance to read it.
</quote>

jue

A. Sinan Unur

if you read the thread you know what i am talking about!

As has been pointed out many times in this group, while Google Groups is
an excellent *archive*, its web interface fails as a newsreader. As a
person who has chosen Google Groups as your interface to UseNet, it is
your responsibility to make sure you abide by time honoured conventions.
One of those conventions is to quote an appropriate amount of context when
replying. For more such niceties, see Google's own recommendations.
look if u dont want to help then dont go on about it!,

As you wish.
someone else with skills and willingness may help.

Unlikely, but there is always hope.

*PLONK*

Brian Wakem

h3r0 said:
hi

can anyone help with a one liner that reads a string from a file and
converts it to uppercase.

the string is always in this format

abcd0101a01

thanks for your time.

I was going to help, but having just viewed your replies in this thread
I have changed my mind.

Paul Lalli

h3r0 said:
well get a proper news reader twat :)

*warning warning* Irony Overload *warning warning*

Google Groups is NOT a "proper news reader". It is, in fact, one of
the sorriest excuses for a news reader yet invented. Google Groups is
GREAT for an archive. For posting and reading daily newsgroups, it's
terrible. Perhaps the worst product Google has come up with.

More to the point, we (that is, the regulars, the ones who generally
*answer* the questions, rather than only ask), do not desire to read
posts by thread, simply because we, unlike those who are asking the
questions, are not reading just one thread. When someone posts a
question, like yourself, that person tends to only focus on that
message's thread, so of course you want to read just that thread, and
threading the messages helps you. The answering participants, however,
are reading pretty much EVERY message posted, and so it makes far more
sense to read messages as they arrive, or to see messages that have
arrived since the last time we checked.

Since you are ASKING for help, it would be most helpful for you to help
yourself, and that would involve posting in the way that that enables
the people most likely to respond to read and understand your messages.

Paul Lalli

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Paul said:
More to the point, we (that is, the regulars, the ones who generally
*answer* the questions, rather than only ask), do not desire to read
posts by thread, simply because we, unlike those who are asking the
questions, are not reading just one thread. When someone posts a
question, like yourself, that person tends to only focus on that
message's thread, so of course you want to read just that thread, and
threading the messages helps you. The answering participants, however,
are reading pretty much EVERY message posted, and so it makes far more
sense to read messages as they arrive, or to see messages that have
arrived since the last time we checked.

I'm reading posts by thread, but have my newsreader (Thunderbird) set to
only show threads with unread posts.

Just a tip. :)

Tad McClellan

h3r0 said:
i know, its just that im running out of time, this has to be done by
yesterday!

While getting other people to do your work for you may work this time,
it may prove a bad decision in the long run.

So long!

Ilmari Karonen

h3r0 said:
can anyone help with a one liner that reads a string from a file and
converts it to uppercase.

the string is always in this format

abcd0101a01

Well, with such a well defined specification, the job should be easy.

perl -e '$_ = <>; /^abcd0101a01$/ or die; print "ABCD0101A01\n";'

There. That should do it, I think.

(No, I'm not being serious. If I were, I could've easily given you a
"real" solution, but since you said it was due yesterday, I guess you
don't really need it anymore...)