to_unsigned as an expression in an aggregate

N

Nick Bayard

I'm getting some odd results when I try to use an aggregate expression to pack several unsigned vectors. I get the error. "This expression must be of a locally static subtype. Invalid aggregate." If I use the concatenate operator (commented below), it seems to compile file. Is this bug from my vendor tool (Aldec) or is there some reason I can't use to_unsigned in an aggregate? Thanks.

library IEEE;
use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all;
use IEEE.numeric_std.all;

entity my_entity is
port
(
output : out unsigned(39 downto 0)
);
end;

architecture my_arch of my_entity is
signal int1 : integer := 0;
signal int2 : integer := 0;
signal us1 : unsigned(9 downto 0) := (others => '0');
signal us2 : unsigned(9 downto 0) := (others => '0');
begin
output <= (to_unsigned(int1,10), to_unsigned(int2,10), us1, us2);
--output <= to_unsigned(int1,10) & to_unsigned(int2,10) & us1 & us2;
end;

A

Andy

The VHDL-2008 standard was updated to addresses this, but I don't know whether it requires named vs positional notation in the aggregate expression for this to be allowed. I also don't know if the size of the actual must be locally static (e.g. whether a call to to_unsigned() would work), but that may be taken care of by named association.

output <= (39 downto 30 => to_unsigned(int1,10),
29 downto 20 => to_unsigned(int2,10),
19 downto 10 => us1,
9 downto 0 => us2);

This also depends on whether your tool supports VHDL-2008.

Support for 2008 is an option that must be enabled for the tool, and then there may be (most likely are) limitations as to which new-for-2008 featuresare supported.

Another really nice change is that std_logic_vector is now a resolved subtype of std_ulogic_vector. Which means these two formerly separate types can now be direclty assigned to and/or associated with each other without explicit conversion.

Andy

N

Nick Bayard

One of these generates a 40-bit unsigned; the other generates an array of

four 10-bit unsigneds.

I would only expect the one that matches the actual port type to work.

- Brian

Thanks Brian. This the first time that I've heard anyone mention anything indicating that these two expressions did anything differently.

N

Nick Bayard

This also depends on whether your tool supports VHDL-2008.

Support for 2008 is an option that must be enabled for the tool, and then there may be (most likely are) limitations as to which new-for-2008 features are supported.

Andy

Andy, my tool does claim to support VHDL-2008 and it is enabled. At this point, the error appears to lie somewhere between my incorrect implementation and the incorrect implementation of the tool. Thanks.

A

Andy

Did you try named association instead of positional association in the aggregate expression? Check your tool user manual to see what parts of 2008 they support.

Andy

H

HT-Lab

I'm getting some odd results when I try to use an aggregate expression to pack several unsigned vectors. I get the error. "This expression must be of a locally static subtype. Invalid aggregate." If I use the concatenate operator (commented below), it seems to compile file. Is this bug from my vendor tool (Aldec) or is there some reason I can't use to_unsigned in an aggregate? Thanks.

library IEEE;
use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all;
use IEEE.numeric_std.all;

entity my_entity is
port
(
output : out unsigned(39 downto 0)
);
end;

architecture my_arch of my_entity is
signal int1 : integer := 0;
signal int2 : integer := 0;