    gratefully appreciated

    Thanks

    Ian

    Ian, Apr 23, 2004

  2. 1. Make sure you are only moving UI elements. If you delete an element from
    the page (or add), you will have to recompile in VS.NET.
    2. Get used to doing all app compiles in VS.NET before running tests

    If you set up Dreamweaver as an editor in VS.NET, you can use the right
    click menu to edit the ASPX page in Dreamweaver. Just remember the code
    barrier. Best not to mess with code in Dreamweaver, unless you do not use
    CodeBehind at all.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!
    "Ian" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Has anybody got any tips or recommendations for using Vs.Net and

    Dreamweaver

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Apr 23, 2004

  3. Ian

    Max Guest

    Dreamweaver will re-write stuff you did in VS.NET and VS.NET will re-write
    stuff you did in Dreamweaver. There's very little you can do to prevent it,
    so just be aware that it happens, and learn each app's behavior. A lot of
    people will flat out deny that it happens, that's why I'm pointing this out.
    Heck, even using the app individually you run into code rewriting problems.
    There are probably 2000 cases where it will happen, so there's no since in
    pointing them all out. It just depends on what you are doing. Some people
    apparently never experience any difficulty. So, I'll just have to say, good
    for them. ;)

    -Max

    Max, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Ian

    Jeff Guest

    Agreed - I'll just add that before I start work on any project, I first open
    all aspx pages in DWMX, then open the requisite files in VS.NET. Then I
    proceed with any modifications (aspx/ascx in DWMX, coding in VS.NET and no
    coding in DWMX or layout in VS.NET), then do all compiling and subsequent
    test runs from VS.NET. The big benefit of opening all aspx pages in DWMX
    prior to opening any related project pages in VS.NET is that if aspx the
    page inadvertently gets opened in VS.NET (perhaps as a result of a search
    operation) and then rearranged by VS.NET, then I can simply switch back to
    DWMX which will be telling me that the aspx has been modified outside of the
    DWMX environment - and prompts me to save or not. I save at that point -
    replacing the screwed up html with what DWMX had in memory. Works like a
    charm and saves a ton of time. This may sound a bit complicated and it IS.
    But when I first started developing with ASP.NET/VS.NET, I presented my
    strategy to this group and no one came up with a different or better
    strategy. If there is one, I'd still like to know.

    Jeff, Apr 23, 2004
  5. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Thanks everyone for all your help. still quite new to C# and vs.net....

    At first when I started playing around it was going crazy... things were
    rewriting etc.

    Now.. hopefully think I have got it now

    I went into VS.Net 2003 and tools and options.

    and then found Texteditor, HTML/XML and format.

    There are 2 options, apply automatic formatting.. Uncheck both options..

    Now basically I have made the default option when double click an asp file
    in the solution explorer to load Dreamweaver... I can do all my HTML stuff
    there...

    When I finish it says "ok it was changed want to reload?" i say yes... and
    then I use the Design view to add textboxes etc etc Now this is amazing as I
    thought for sure its going to mess up but i keep jumping between DM and
    VS.NET using the above method and so far it never messes up. Even adding
    asp.net controls in VS.net and it seems ok...

    I hope it stays like this as it seems to really work...

    Fingers crossed!

    Ian

    Ian, Apr 29, 2004