tomcat 2 environments devpt/deployment in one?

D E

Is it possible to have "development" and a "deployment" environments so
that both of them are in essence exactly the same, but while the
"deployment" site is still running and available to the public, the
development site is being changed and experimented on at the same time?

Keeping in mind that if this is to be implemented, i'd want separate db's
and web.xml files too.. IS this just a pain?

Sort of like the general software engineering schema today, but problem is i
only have one domain name and server (to be used for development and
deployment concurrently). Also, i only have one computer :-/

Please inform me, and i apologize in advance, if this posting is not quite
appropriate for this forum...

Sudsy

D said:
Is it possible to have "development" and a "deployment" environments so
that both of them are in essence exactly the same, but while the
"deployment" site is still running and available to the public, the
development site is being changed and experimented on at the same time?
<snip>

Timing is everything. I just replied to another post which touched on
precisely these issues.
What you can do is configure your base directory and then use
environment variables to specify different configuration files.
With Tomcat, you need separate server.xml files, one which uses
the "production" port of 80 while the pre-deployment environment
uses port 8080 (typically). Take a look in your $TOMCAT_HOME/bin
directory for the startup.[sh|bat] files.
Very common and easily do-able.
Drop me an off-list e-mail if you require additional info.

ps. Non-existant group dropped from reply.