Tomcat 4.1.31 - huge count of webapps, Tomcat hangs up

Discussion in 'Java' started by Martin Eberle, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. Hi everybody and java experts,

    i have a huge count of webapps (approximately 25) in my Tomcat here,
    running on Suse Linux 9.1. After a few connection requests, Tomcat
    just hangs up and doesn't accept anymore connection. I can't kill the
    process anyway, only "killall -9 java" helps. Well, beneath the fact
    that my server has 2 gigabytes of ram, only 40MB are available after
    starting tomcat. So, tomcat allocates 1.96 gigabytes of ram.

    Question is: what is the maximum count of webapps, Tomcat is able to
    handle? Or are there any other configuration hints?

    System is
    - Suse Linux 9.1
    - 2GB of RAM
    - 3.0 Ghz Machine
    - JDK1.4.2_06 and JRE1.4.2_05 (same effect on every Java version)
    - Tomcat 4.1.31 or Tomcat bundle with TDK-2.2 (TurbineDevelopmentKit)

    This is an absolut urgent issue! Please reply asap ..
    Thx a lot ....

    Martin Eberle, Dec 3, 2004

  2. 25 applications sounds a bit high, but what makes you think it's Tomcat?
    It's also possible that one of your 25 applications has a leak

    Andrea Desole, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Martin Eberle

    noah Guest

    Hi,
    I think you need to do some VM tuning... There is a common
    mis-understanding of running the unix comment top and it's
    interpretation of memory usage by java processes and threads.

    > that my server has 2 gigabytes of ram, only 40MB are available after
    > starting tomcat. So, tomcat allocates 1.96 gigabytes of ram.

    It is quite possible that Tomcat is only using 100-200M of ram,
    and that top is misleading you. Can you look in your startup.sh
    scripts and see if your JAVA_OPTS has a -Xmx or -Xms max and min heap
    size set? If not, the default (I recall poorly) is not sufficient for
    many server applications. If you set the min heap size to, say 512M,
    I'm guessing you may see quite a bit of difference.
    Do a search on garbage collection - there is a flag: verbose:gc,
    and also a great tool: gcviewer, that can help visualize the garbage
    collection and heap sizes. It's really *really* important that Java
    developers and admins understand garbage collection and heap sizes.

    hope this helps,
    Noah

    noah, Dec 3, 2004