Tomcat 4.1.31 - huge count of webapps, Tomcat hangs up

Martin Eberle

Hi everybody and java experts,

i have a huge count of webapps (approximately 25) in my Tomcat here,
running on Suse Linux 9.1. After a few connection requests, Tomcat
just hangs up and doesn't accept anymore connection. I can't kill the
process anyway, only "killall -9 java" helps. Well, beneath the fact
that my server has 2 gigabytes of ram, only 40MB are available after
starting tomcat. So, tomcat allocates 1.96 gigabytes of ram.

Question is: what is the maximum count of webapps, Tomcat is able to
handle? Or are there any other configuration hints?

System is
- Suse Linux 9.1
- 2GB of RAM
- 3.0 Ghz Machine
- JDK1.4.2_06 and JRE1.4.2_05 (same effect on every Java version)
- Tomcat 4.1.31 or Tomcat bundle with TDK-2.2 (TurbineDevelopmentKit)

This is an absolut urgent issue! Please reply asap ..
Thx a lot ....

Andrea Desole

25 applications sounds a bit high, but what makes you think it's Tomcat?
It's also possible that one of your 25 applications has a leak

noah

Hi,
I think you need to do some VM tuning... There is a common
mis-understanding of running the unix comment top and it's
interpretation of memory usage by java processes and threads.
that my server has 2 gigabytes of ram, only 40MB are available after
starting tomcat. So, tomcat allocates 1.96 gigabytes of ram.

It is quite possible that Tomcat is only using 100-200M of ram,
and that top is misleading you. Can you look in your startup.sh
scripts and see if your JAVA_OPTS has a -Xmx or -Xms max and min heap
size set? If not, the default (I recall poorly) is not sufficient for
many server applications. If you set the min heap size to, say 512M,
I'm guessing you may see quite a bit of difference.
Do a search on garbage collection - there is a flag: verbose:gc,
and also a great tool: gcviewer, that can help visualize the garbage
collection and heap sizes. It's really *really* important that Java
developers and admins understand garbage collection and heap sizes.

hope this helps,
Noah

orderPeak8CBDGummies