Tomcat 4 and Apache

Eugene A

Hello all.

I worked with Apache and Tomcat 3 for a while but never got around to
Tomcat 4. My question is how do Apache and Tomcat 4 work together? Is
Tomcat 4 a web and app server in one, or maybe Apache has to be configured
to send requests to Tomcat 4?

Thanks,

Eugene.

Davide Bianchi

In alt.apache.configuration Eugene A said:
My question is how do Apache and Tomcat 4 work together?

Tomcat can be used as a WebServer + AppServer or you can leave the
Web Serving to Apache and use the Coyote Connector to comunicate with
Tomcat. Just install and configure the mod_jk.

Davide

Chris

Well Tomcat 4 you can either run as a stand-a-lone webserver or
integrate it into another webserver(apache, iis, etc) the benefit of
integrating it, get more efficient serving of images/static documents
through say apache( also get more features with apache than you do
with the stand-a-lone ), then for you jsp/servlet requests it is
forwarded on to tomcat. there are instructions on jakartas site that
explains how to do this. try looking for apache-tomcat connector or
mod_jk or jk2 it should be pretty easy to find. however, unless you
have high site traffic just using tomcat 4 should be sufficient, and
easier to work with especially for development (KISS).. tomcat pretty
much has full j2ee features except for ejb container, and jms (i'm
sure i'm missing some missing features). for those you can use jboss
(if you want OS) or a commerical vendor if you like giving $$ away.
(if that's the case I can give you my pobox.;) )

hope this helps,

chris

FriscoKid

Eugene A said:
(e-mail address removed) (Chris) wrote in

It does.

Thanks.

One thing I'd like to mention is that IMO tomcat logging sucks. I'm
currently running apache & tomcat with the connector. I had originally
tried running everything on tomcat & it ran fine. They claim a performance
hit if you serve static pages / images / etc on tomcat, but I didn't have a
problem (only moderate traffic on my box). In the end, though, I ended up
going with apache & the connector because I couldn't find anything in tomcat
that came close to providing the info you get in the apache access log.
There was plenty of error & debug logging, but nothing that would let you
know who's hitting your site. If it was there, damned if I could find it.

Chris

is this what you are looking for?

127.0.0.1 - - [19/Jun/2003:15:37:51 -0600] "GET /test/jsp/ HTTP/1.1"
200 1347
127.0.0.1 - - [19/Jun/2003:15:38:50 -0600] "GET /test/jsp/x.jsp
HTTP/1.1" 500 7675

i grabbed this outta my jboss-tomcat4.1.24 bundle under
default/server/logs

local-access%

i'm pretty sure tomcat has those under tomcat_root/logs directory.
there might be a configuration file to turn it off and on.. not
sure...

chris