    to send requests to Tomcat 4?

    Thanks,

    Eugene.
    Eugene A, Jul 24, 2003

  2. In alt.apache.configuration Eugene A <> wrote:
    > My question is how do Apache and Tomcat 4 work together?

    Tomcat can be used as a WebServer + AppServer or you can leave the
    Web Serving to Apache and use the Coyote Connector to comunicate with
    Tomcat. Just install and configure the mod_jk.

    Davide
    Davide Bianchi, Jul 24, 2003

  3. Eugene A

    Chris Guest

    Well Tomcat 4 you can either run as a stand-a-lone webserver or
    integrate it into another webserver(apache, iis, etc) the benefit of
    integrating it, get more efficient serving of images/static documents
    through say apache( also get more features with apache than you do
    with the stand-a-lone ), then for you jsp/servlet requests it is
    forwarded on to tomcat. there are instructions on jakartas site that
    explains how to do this. try looking for apache-tomcat connector or
    mod_jk or jk2 it should be pretty easy to find. however, unless you
    have high site traffic just using tomcat 4 should be sufficient, and
    easier to work with especially for development (KISS).. tomcat pretty
    much has full j2ee features except for ejb container, and jms (i'm
    sure i'm missing some missing features). for those you can use jboss
    (if you want OS) or a commerical vendor if you like giving $$ away.
    (if that's the case I can give you my pobox.;) )

    hope this helps,

    chris

    Chris, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Eugene A

    Eugene A Guest

    (Chris) wrote in

    > hope this helps,
    >
    > chris

    It does.

    Thanks.
    Eugene A, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Eugene A

    FriscoKid Guest

    "Eugene A" <> wrote in message
    > (Chris) wrote in
    >
    > > hope this helps,
    > >
    > > chris

    > It does.
    >
    > Thanks.

    One thing I'd like to mention is that IMO tomcat logging sucks. I'm
    currently running apache & tomcat with the connector. I had originally
    tried running everything on tomcat & it ran fine. They claim a performance
    hit if you serve static pages / images / etc on tomcat, but I didn't have a
    problem (only moderate traffic on my box). In the end, though, I ended up
    going with apache & the connector because I couldn't find anything in tomcat
    that came close to providing the info you get in the apache access log.
    There was plenty of error & debug logging, but nothing that would let you
    know who's hitting your site. If it was there, damned if I could find it.
    FriscoKid, Jul 25, 2003
  6. Eugene A

    Chris Guest

    is this what you are looking for?

    127.0.0.1 - - [19/Jun/2003:15:37:51 -0600] "GET /test/jsp/ HTTP/1.1"
    200 1347
    127.0.0.1 - - [19/Jun/2003:15:38:50 -0600] "GET /test/jsp/x.jsp
    HTTP/1.1" 500 7675

    i grabbed this outta my jboss-tomcat4.1.24 bundle under
    default/server/logs

    local-access%

    i'm pretty sure tomcat has those under tomcat_root/logs directory.
    there might be a configuration file to turn it off and on.. not
    sure...

    chris

    Chris, Jul 25, 2003